1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

that Wal tone without the price tag

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmastan, Jan 5, 2012.

1. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    What bass gets the tone most similar to a wal without breaking 1k or just over it?

2. Torque

Torque

Jul 23, 2011
    Stealing a Wal. ??

3. Sam Hain

Sam Hain

May 30, 2010
    Its gonna be tough...maybe a SBMM Ray,or a EBMM Ray used? Add some Barts and you may get close. I think with the Wal its in the wood though.

4. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    I have an SBMM 34 laying around, what kindof mods in specific should I do? What model Bart?

5. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    USA G&L. L2000 0r L2500 depending on your string number preference.

6. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I know Wals have very unusual pickups. That fact alone will probably will make it difficult to cop that sound with a different bass.

7. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    In order to get anywhere close to a Wal tone, you'll need to find a bass that has a semi-parametric EQ (not standard bass, midrange & treble boost/cut type EQ's which are the most common.) The voicing is very different than what is usually found on the market. The Heartfield DR series basses that were made back in the early 90's had a similar type EQ, and can be had at reasonable prices if you can find one.

I've been out of the loop for quite a while, so there may be a newer bass on the market with a parametric EQ.

8. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You can get close with a Peavey T-40 or G&L L2000.

9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    This. But, it also depends on the Wal tone you are after. I dont want to be THAT guy but, do a search, this question has been asked thousands of times already.

10. Sam Hain

Sam Hain

May 30, 2010
  11. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    My '84 Precision Elite II through my GK 1001 RB-II and SWR Workingman's Tower 8x10. She's the one:

PrecisionEliteII_a.

12. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    But I'm saying should I route for another pickup?

13. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    I had a feeling it would be, on my phone the searches don't load for some reason, so I didn't see it in the current or in the past few weeks that's why I asked.

14. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Look into a filter based preamp, like Wal uses, and install that instead of other pickups. ACG makes one that I put into my G&L L2000 that was really nice, but I could get in the Wal-park with the stock preamp. Also, SGD Lutherie (here on TB) is making a Wal clone preamp and Wal clone pickups, I think, in MusicMan size cases. Search for that.

15. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Ill see if I can get intouch with him if not and you happen to speak with him send him my way. I'm really interested

16. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    What setting would get close to a Wal tone? I've got an L2000 Tribute.

17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Define "wal tone"... there's so much in one of those!

18. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    heartfield by fender dr4......rogermiller has one....

19. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Again, which Wal tone? Geddy? Tool? Karn? Etc?

20. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I've got both and I cant say that I've ever gotten a Wal-like tone out of either one. To be fair, I cant say that I ever really tried, but still, not even by accident!!!!
    I kinda know how to do the Ric-tone on the T-40 but thats not the same.

But yeah- the first thing that came to mind was that the bass would need 2 humbuckers, which IMHO means the only Ray that would do it would be an HH model.