Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The 4-String Circle Is Complete

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembicfive, May 22, 2005.

1. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Well after years of playing 5-strings.......I have returned to my roots! After playing a Jazz in a store, I forgot how fun they are. So I bought it! After a couple of minor mods (new bridge and pick guard), man I am having a ball with this bass! Well, since I am back on a 4-string, it would not be complete with a fretless! So here is my new family! Both are Jazz Standards and both kick ass. I just love the necks on these basses, and that Fender sound!! I think my 5-stringers are going to get jealous! :bassist:

Attached Files:

2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I made the same change myself after playing 5's for awhile. I have one 4 strung BEAD and one EADG.

3. The same thing happened to me a few years ago!!! After using 4 strings for years I got a 5 strings and only lasted a year, for me the B string made a fabulous thumb rest... :D :D :D ... I went back to 4 strings and never looked back...

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I used 5's on stage exclusively for years, but lately I've been digging 4's on stage, so I went a got a Sadowsky Metro 4 for my live playing. I too, had forgotten how fun 4's were.

5. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Congrats. I'm a born again 4-stringer myself after years with 5 and a year with a 6.

6. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    My freind and fellow bassist has the exact looking Jazz bass. (fretted). Are those still stock pickups?

7. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Yep. The only thing major I did to the fretted one is install a Badass II bridge. I'll most likely put one in the fretless as well.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, I did the same thing. Started on four, switched to five after a year or so, played that for a couple years until I fell in love with my ex-Stingray, now back to a P-bass and a Yammie fretless. All four stringers in my stable for now.

9. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I had a 6-string for about 11 years, from '94 to just recently when it was ruined in an accident. At first I kinda missed it, but it seems I don't miss it as much really. Maybe someday I'll get another sixer (or a fiver), but for what I'm doing right now musically (pretty much just straight-ahead New Wave-ish guitar pop), a four fills the bill (and that's all I have now; my old trusty Rickenbacker 4003 and a fretless made from a Carvin kit.)