1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The A B Switch debacle

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ejm customs, May 3, 2006.

1. ejm customs

ejm customs

Apr 27, 2006
    I need a good AB switch that is made with quality components and is completely undetectable in the chain. I can't find one. I'd be using it with 2 basses into 1 amp so this should be simple, right? I've been throwing bills around at an alarming rate to get the rig I've always wanted and now I'm hung up on a filthy AB switch?!? I've been to harmony Central to find out about the usual suspects, but all seem to have short comings. I'm anal. I need a GOOD, simple switch with quality inerds, not and EXPENSIVE switch with fancy features that I won't use. Any suggestions?

2. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    No experience with AB's but if you had to, you could always hit the speaker/tuning mute on your amp (if there is one) and unplug. Last resort, maybe.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Yeah I was looking to do the same thing you are, I just gave up and got the TU-2 and use it as a mute.

Normally, i would say go to loooper.com but that dude is outa commission so i just went with the above option.

4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
  5. By that I assume you mean no tone alterations? Avoid active devices in that case.

What are the shortcomings of the ones you've looked at?

If you were me, you'd buy yourself a Carling 3PDT footswitch, a small diecast box, three quality jack sockets and make it yourself. Trouble is, with anything mechanical like that you might find that it pops audibly when you switch. This is not the fault of the AB switch itself though.

Other devices in the chain often don't like having their inputs or outputs momentarily disconnected, capacitors charge creating a DC offset, then when the switch reconnects the signal path the DC offset is very quickly shunted to ground creating a thump or pop.

6. Remco/Speedemon from Holland builts the worlds smallest AB-boxes.

Hot Wire Audio

[​IMG]

7. sinophysiker

sinophysiker

Feb 7, 2006
    Shanghai
    exactly, I'd say building one by yourself is not that hard.

8. jujube_2a

jujube_2a

Jan 18, 2006
    Corsica, France
  9. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I had and now currently have a Morley A/B/Y. Has never failed me and has no pops. There is one for sale in the classifieds for about $25 as well.

10. I also use the Morley. No worries.

11. Loooper is supposed to be nice. Can be customized any way you want. You can do an A/B and add a mute, or a tuner out, etc.

http://www.loooper.com/

The web site says the guy is really sick right now and not taking orders until he is better. Cool stuff. Real simple.

12. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Try the Radial Bigshot A/B switcher. Its only about 60-70 bucks. I have the Bigshot effects looper and its excellant quality, readily available and cheap.

Bruce

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABY Selector Added to Radial's BigShot Series

October 7, 2005
    New from Radial Engineering is the BigShot ABY, a guitar amplifier selector that lets the player transition between two guitar amplifiers on stage for tonal range.

The Radial BigShot ABY is extremely compact yet built with 14-gauge steel to handle the most abusive environments while providing added stability on the floor and reduce sliding. Two footswitches are prominent on the stepped top surface: the first is labeled 'toggle' to select between the two amps for typical A-B switching and the second is labeled 'both' to activate both amps at the same time.

The BigShot ABY is equipped with four 1/4" jacks: the input that connects the guitar; a tuner output that can drive a tuner, and two outputs labeled A and B. Output B is equipped with a switchable isolation transformer that eliminates hum & buzz caused by ground loops. Also, once engaged, the polarity reverse switch becomes active allowing the player to line up the two amps in phase. A ground lift is also provided to further reduce hum and buzz problems.

13. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    look into the whirlwind AB box.

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I have an ART AB/Y that I use in my guitar rig. I like it. If the Y part is important to anyone, then the Radial is a good bet as it has the ability to reverse the phase between A&B. Sounds nutty but some amps are reverse phased on the input so this might be a help in a two amp scenario.

15. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    +1 on the whirlwind box....

SM

16. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    +1 on Loop-Master. They make an amazing array of loopers and A/B swithces. Simple designs with good quality components at good prices.