1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The BF-2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tedintheshed, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have to admit, I've have a bit of biasness against Boss pedals. But for $35.00, I got a black label/black knob MIJ Boss BF-2 and was very suprised. This flanger is very nice.

I admit that I bouight this mainly to see if I wanted to add a flanger to my pedal board, with intentions of getting something like a Choralflange later. I don't think this will go anywhere soon though.

The FL-2 is a bass classic it seems. There's something about that- it's comforting looking down at this pink pedal with all the scratches and character and mojo. Lot's of bang for the buck too, and I don't really think you can get a much higher quality sound from a flanger, from what I've heard so far.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    <comic book guy>

Best Pedal EVER!

</comic book guy>

Though I personally prefer the Taiwanese version. Seems to be a little sweeter on bass IMO.

3. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I also recently picked up a BF-2--good stuff, isn't it? I'm not sure which "version" I've got though... Where does it say where it was made?

-Dash

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    On the label on the bottom. You have your green Label Japanese version, black label I believe, and the Taiwanese version.

It's a shame word got out these were amazing pedals. Back in the day you could get one of these for $35 barely used. Now people are trying to sell the Taiwanese ones for $60 and the Japanese for even more!

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    The good word didn't stop my deal from happening, though. :D

$40.00 for a black-label BF-2... hard to beat!

I'm quickly replacing Boss pedals with better non-Boss pedals... but I think this one's never coming off my board.

6. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I got to A/B the Japanese and Tiawanese versions and liked the Japanese version better. From there it was a matter of looking for a good deal.

It is all just a matter of taste though. Your mileage may vary.

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Hmmm...I pulled my BF-2 (I've had it for 15+ years) off my board in favor of an Alesis Microverb 4 in my rack, but the Alesis isn't getting much use these days. Maybe I should give the BF-2 another run.

8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I end up posting in every BF-2 related thread (just like tplyons)--I agree that this is one of the best (and weirdest) pedals Boss has ever made. For those who don't know, there are 3 internal trimpots on the circuit board (you need to remove 4 screws and take off the back plate to get at them). I'm not sure what they do technically but they have quite an effect on the sound of the pedal. If you have a BF-2 and find it not quite to your liking, be sure to fool around with those little trimmers before writing it off--you may be surprised.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    +1 but don't forget to mark them before you twiddle with them.

10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    hehehe...he said "twiddle".

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You should see what else I say.

Pull my string, I dare you.

12. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    E, A, D or *giggle* G?

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    G String of course ;)

14. :eyebrow: You guys might wanna take this into the lounge... or better yet, into Ted's shed. :D

Hey Ted, can't forget that username! Still digging the Black Cat Fuzz I sold you a while back?

15. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Tim, I've expanded my pedal board to 12 pedals, it is 40x24" with a custom looping system on the way...

and the Black Cat is a keeper forever. It is plain nasty, and I love it.

16. Great pedal. i love mine.

And tplyons and ted, stop flirting infront of everyone :D :bag:

peace

17. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I scored a first edition "silver screw" BF-2 on ebay in wonderfull shape. It is so warm and actually adds a boost to the signal when turned on. I can't get enough of it, its actually edging out my phase90 as my favorite bass pedal.

Crabby

18. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Don't worry, we both like Big Muffs.:hyper:

19. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Get a room, boys.