1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Cheapest Recording Tool This Year?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Tactician, Mar 21, 2009.

1. I've just come across and bought a Sony B133. A 1GB MP3 player that has it's own internal mic and can record and playback. Using a micro jack cable to a mixer or amp you'll have a great way to record and playback. I've been recording students and playing back what they just did this week. Nothing quite like hearing yourself to get a reality check.

It can only record though it's internal mic (shame eh?) but it's pretty good quality - an no moving parts so if you blue-tack it to something solid you'll get no clucks and clicks as you move or knock it.

It charges up through a USB port - the same one you get at the back of your computer or that MP3 player wall charger. It can take a 90 minute playback charge in 3 minutes. It has a 1GB (there is a 2GB model as well) memory. I've now found out that it will record for nearly 24 hours! Duh? Bit longer than a multi-track.

Of course now I've started I can think of so many uses. I'm going to get one for my daughter at University - record lectures and make notes. I can make all sorts of interesting live recordings anywhere for incorporating in music tracks later. You just up load to Media Player 11 or iTunes on your PC. I have Sony ACID as well so they are going in there for some post recording EQ etc. Can't wait to record the whole of the next band rehearsal. There are some songs we just can't review properly at the same time as playing them.

Anyone like to tell me if they can gazump my $20 purchase for a new recorder with something even better? I mean for less than $20.

At higher quality, I'm still trying to decide on the Tascam DP02 or Fostex MR8 II. I'm fairly fed up with PC recording - too complex.

2. p4toda

p4toda

Aug 10, 2008
    At the middle
  3. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've been jamming with a few of my buddies lately improvising blues tracks, and we record our whole session on a specialized iPhone app (don't remember what its called) that has algorithms to separate frequencies and clearly record each member in a band setting of guitar, bass, drums and vocals. iPhones may be pricey, but the app is $5, and considering almost 1 in 4 people own an iPhone, chances are one of your bandmates can hook it up. I've been listening to our jams all day and they sound like good quality bootleg-ish recordings, minus the fuzz and noise usually associated with bootlegs.

4. Here hang on Toasty - those iPhones are pretty pricey here in the UK - but I could borrow my kids ones - now there's a thought. I wonder if they'd let their old dad have their phone on long term loan whilst they carry on paying $50 a month for them. Sort of reverse parenting. Must be about time I got some of my investment in them back!

5. Toda - that sounds cool. can you do a mic to mixer to Zen thing with this?

6. p4toda

p4toda

Aug 10, 2008
    At the middle
    i havn't tried that one yet, but i think it is not possible IMO. I will let you know as soon as i get a chance to experiment with it.