1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

the christopher bass club

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ao'connor17, Jul 24, 2007.

1. I can't help but wonder how it is that your silk wrappings are so close to the nut?

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Look at the after-lengths - they are much too long. The tailpiece is too far down on the bass, making the strings a little short at the top.

3. ^^Thanks, that makes sense!

4. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    New Christopher Owner..Couldn't be happier!!!

5. Show us some pics!

6. Please more info on the model, strings, & the style of music you play.

7. Silevesq

Silevesq

Oct 2, 2010
    Quebec
    Here's mine 303T with jazzer string, full circle, funny how the finish is different depending were I am playing.

I play lot's of jazz, practice almost only with the bow, lot's of pop gig and some orchestra stuff, yeah... orchestra with the jazzer!

I just love it, for those of you what were the best thing that you did? Tailpiece, string... anything!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...126305497_808915496_22779649_1424203363_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...71758662196_14523607195_7848630_7052070_n.jpg

8. I love the dark varnish on you bass...it looks nice and dark in the second pic...did you do something additional to the varnish??? Beautiful bass!

9. rprowse

rprowse

Dec 17, 2005
    Wellington NZ
    This is my Christopher 500 series violin shape. It's a great sounding bass. In the video it has spiro weichs. I also had Bel Canti for quite a while and Evah Pirazzi regulars for a little while. I now have Evah Pirazzi weichs on it, which I love. It sounds great with all these different strings.
    Tandrom @ Meow #2 - YouTube
    I was made in 2003 and I got it (new) in 2009.

10. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Good to see that video again, Prowsey. And it is a great sounding bass.

11. Silevesq

Silevesq

Oct 2, 2010
    Quebec
    Nothing... simply nothing the only thing I did to that finish is a few ding and dent here and there...

12. jon3673

jon3673 Supporting Member

Hey guys! I’ve been a member of this web page for quite some time, but hadn’t notice the “Christopher Club” until today. So, let me put in my application, along with my two cents. . . . . .

It all started when I used to listen to a cat play an early 1930’s Juzek. This experience caused me to finally walk away from playing electric bass. In fact, I wound up owning that Juzek and was in 7th heaven for many years. Please be aware that as it was a 4/4 size ax and, therefore, easy to convert to 5 string (lo B). It had a wonderful sound! I amplified it using an Ampeg B15N.

About 10 or 12 years ago (before I knew of this club & the web page) the neck on my Juzek broke and, as it was going to be down for about a month being repaired, I needed to find a quick (and cheap!) replacement.

I talked with, and emailed people from all over the U.S., Europe and Australia. I soon found that the Christopher bass was the only inexpensive replacement ax of which no one would say anything bad about. So, sight unseen, I ordered a 7/8 Series 300 Busetto 5 String over the internet to use for a temporarily replacement.

I was shocked when I received it! I really wasn’t too wild about the lite color, but amazed with the sound. I wasn’t too wild about the fingerboard and it wasn’t as great as the sound that I experienced when using my Juzek, . . . . but it was very pleasing. In fact, at that point, I stopped taking out my $10,000 Juzek out to work a $50 gig. From that point forward, I only used my Christopher.

I have modified my 300 series Christopher somewhat over the years. I have replaced the tuning keys and finger board. (I now have a full width overlapping fingerboard, which allows me to have a string separation similar to that of a 4 string)

Just a few years ago I contracted with Christopher to make me a special 600 series 7/8 Busetto 5 string using the wider fingerboard (similar to my 300 series). I think that this fully carved ax sounds as good as my old Juzek, but unfortunately, costs about the same. Therefore, it dosen't go out on a gig either! (But, when I do take it out, I get great complements!)

For many years I would use Thomastik Wien gage strings on all of these basses, but as they were becomming more and more costly (and as Thomastik didn’t make a B string in the Wien gage), I started looking around for a different string. I have now settled on the Innovation Honey strings and have been very pleased with their response and sound.

For amplification, I use an Underwood pick up to drive an Acoustic Image Ten2 (I put this AI on flat response and find that the B string has the same volume level as the G string). I feel that I have the best sound around! In fact, I just emailed AI and told them that using their amp makes me feel like I was playing that two story high bass (of which you may have seen the pictures of two cats playing). It’s that sort of sound quality . . . . . . . . it sounds big, but not amplified.

Oh, I should add this . . . .

Another cat here in town, who plays a 3/4 size 4 string Christopher 300 Busetto, amplifies his ax using a Bose L1 (with one bass cabinet). He gets a great sound! Even when playing with a 20 piece big band.

However, I have found that it dosen't work as well for me unless I drive two (2) bass cabinets (which are needed for the lo B). And, that's too much equipment to move around!

Now, if I could only learn to play the damned thing . . . . . life would be beautiful!

13. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Hey guys,

Here's an update about my 2001 crissy 303 hybrid:

A year ago my luthier planed the fingerboard to perfection and gave the bass a great setup. Since then I've played the hell out of it and drilled it for a laborie style endpin, which I love. After two semesters of hard playing, gigging, and traveling I felt like bringing her in for a slight setup adjustment. The more great jazz basses I get to play the more I realize most do not have the steep bevel cut under the E string (which I'm told facilitates arco playing), so I asked him to smooth it out a bit and check all the measurements to make sure my setup is still optimal.

His one comment, when I got it back, was how great quality of the ebony was on this particular christopher. We all know these basses are pretty cheap; I paid 2,400 or so back in 2001... He said he was impressed because during the planing there was no pitting or other anomalous things indicating it was crap ebony. He even said he bought some cheap ebony boards at $400 a slab to repair school bases with, and he said they were garbage in comparison. He claimed it's getting harder and harder to find nice ebony boards like this one.

I can't vouch for the recent builds, but it's really nice to know my money was well spent back in 2001 when I had no clue what I was getting into. This bass has got me through Berklee, 5 years in the army band, and 3 years here at UNT. Even when I do choose to upgrade, I think I'll keep this one around as a backup since she's a real workhorse. :)

14. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Lando Music (Germany)
    DB504T Busseto +
    DB202R-RN removable neck model

15. My Christopher 500 Series five-string now has a high C string! Playing 4 Belcantos and a high C Obligato - nice balance! I changed it out for school musical season, and it makes playing shows a breeze. Limiting shifts to navigate the fingerboard and reading down the books are much simpler tasks. But I must say I miss the low end! Back to a B in a few weeks!

The new Revolution Solo pickup is also a great asset - no problem putting a bottom on a large pit orchestra!

:hyper:

16. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

I usually hang over on the EB side of TB but someone in the SF Bay area is selling a Christopher DB303T w/stand & bow for $650 on Craigslist. Seeing the few that sold here were in the $2000 range this may be a deal for someone.

link...

Double / Upright Bass Christopher DB303T

17. Thanks Bassguppy, I'm already on it.:hyper:

18. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    I have a 2009 401T (carved flatback gamba), and received a similar comment regarding the quality of the ebony board in particular, and the build in general, when I took her in for a setup. Nothin' wrong with these basses! :)

19. Okay, Here's the skinny on the above mentioned bass.

The bass is a 2001 Christopher french style professional hybrid 3/4 size.

It has obviously been played and recorded with quite a bit. A few scuffs,chips, and scratches. It came with a stand, an old cover, and a bow for just $650.

Seeing that I was already in San Francisco, I took it to Alex Friedman, a luthier at the Acoustic Bass Shop in South San Francisco. He is an award winning luthier, and I have had the opportunity to play one of his $35,000. basses in the past.

Alex told me that it needed a new bridge, which works for me, because I needed the VERY high action ( think Rockabilly plus an eighth of an inch) lowered.

So, new strings, hybrids, and a fresh new set up. I wanted it a little lower than the average set up, maybe low average with the ability to lower it if I want.

In addition, he is going to take care of a few smaller issues, such as one of the tips of the french tips on the right side of the top is chipped off,and redress the nut as well.

He told me that I got the deal of the century, and that he would sell this bass for over $3000. dollars tomorrow.

Now, I just need to learn to play it. It has a very nice sound with even old strings and a warped bridge. Very bright and focused highs and mids, with a nice clear open E.

I am pretty excited. I do wish it wasn't so shiny though. Does anyone know of a way to lower the sheen without messing up the tone or ruining the finish entirely?

Anyway, you can add me to the Chrissy club. :hyper::hyper::hyper: :bassist:

20. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Congratulations, Joel. I'm glad a TB'er snapped that one up. I saw it and was tempted to jump on it just for bargain's sake, but knew it wasn't for me. Alex is right; that's a very good value for that instrument. Now take this as a sign you're meant to play the beast, and get cracking! :D