1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

the christopher bass club

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ao'connor17, Jul 24, 2007.

1. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for that! Very helpful.
    Louis

2. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I’ve had it for a few months but haven’t shown it in this forum. Harriet Humbleply --a Christopher DB203F-- came brand new from warehouse to shop/setup to me… with a 2009 label. Go figure. It’s a big bass (marketed as 7/8, probably because of the body and bridge dimensions- see below), but with a 3/4 mensure. 2-piece neck, fwiw. The bridge came fitted with a threaded metal insert and Allen screw. I assume this is for holding a wing element, but IMO it’s a really bad idea to do it this way, so I removed the screw. I’ll put it back if I ever sell the bass, lol

Body length: 45.7”/116cm
    Upper Bout: 20.7”/52.5cm
    Lower Bout: 27.5”/69.5cm
    Ribs: 8.5”/22.1cm (from center of C to endpin)
    Overall length: 74.8”/190cm Mensure: 106cm

Spiro S42 Mittel EAD, Superflexible 2887 G. After the Zyex experiment, I'm back to Mitts
    Rubner hatpegs
    Wittner tailpiece. The difference in volume was night and day, not at all as subtle as I expected.

3. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Are you saying the Wittner tailpiece contributed to the change in volume?
    Was this was installed after you had experience with original tailpiece?
    Any noticeable changes in tone?

RBrownBass likes this.
  4. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Sorry so late with the reply- I wasn't quoted, so I had no idea someone had a question.

Yes- a good bit more of it. More like almost full responsibility rather than a contribution (nothing else was changed with the TP/wire).

???

Without hearing and playing the original TP and changing nothing else, I'd have no basis to post a comparison to the new one.

None that I would attribute solely to the TP. The strings were still brand new at the time.

5. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thx

6. jon3673

jon3673 Supporting Member

OK, here's my bad news story about the Christopher bass. My working bass is a 7/8 size Christopher DB304 5 string. This past week I began to have trouble with my pickup, so I have now stopped using it until I can correct the problem. So, last night I took my custom made 7/8 DB504 5 string to our weekly Django Reinhardt Club session, where we do everything acoustically. . . . . . I'M HOOKED AGAIN! This 504 acoustically sounds so much better (and has great volume!) than my 304 that I now want to use it for every gig! One should be very careful when playing the Christopher 500 series. They can become habit forming!!!

7. bassyes

bassyes

Jul 28, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Another Busetto with Presto Jazzicato christopher-Busetto. from Jonas Lohse from Frankfurt.

jonas and John Chambliss like this.
  8. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Schoen!

9. jon3673

I see that you are using Presto Jazzicato nylon strings. A few years back I discovered the Innovation nylon string and have been very satisfied with their sound and response. I suspect that the Presto strings present a very similar sound. My only problem is that Innovation does not make a lo B nylon string, so I have to use their metal wound string instead. However, I do get a good sound and even response with this string. Even Though it looks strange having 4 black strings and one chrome.
    It appears that the Presto Jazzicato string also is not available in a lo B. But I guess this is the problem with most string makers, because when I used the Thmoastik Weich strings I found that the lo B was not available in weich.
    I have both of my Christophers equipped with the Innovation Nylon strings, but as I stated before, when amplified there is little difference between the sound of the 304 and the 504. However, when playing acoustically, it's like night and day!

10. bassyes

bassyes

Jul 28, 2010
    Braunschweig
    You could contact Jonas Lohse. The Jazzicato also pair great with guts. Anyhow, I found my 404 to be a bit more difficult to amplify compared to a simple plywood. But how can we convince our band mates to use lower volume?

11. jon3673

As I said, I get very even and satisfactory response using the Innovation black fiber strings, and the metal wound B is virtually the same. So, other than the look, I'm very satisfied.
    I understand your feelings about wanting the other band mates to turn down. Unfortunately, it probably won't happen! Again, this is why I have two different basses. Amplified, they both sound the same, but acoustically one can easily understand why there is a $10k difference in the price!
    What pickup are you using on your 404? When I first started playing upright, I started with the DeArmond Transducer Pickup, This pickup gave me a lot of feedback, so I began using the Underwood pickup when they first came out. I have tried many, many different ones since then (& some that were very expensive!), but never found one that had a better response until the Fishman Full Circle came out. I have now moved to that pickup exclusively. (although, I had one crap out on me last month!) However, using this pickup, and having my Acoustic Image amp on flat response, I get the natural sound of my bass, but much louder than the acoustic sound.
    The guy that developed and made the Underwood passed on a few years back. However, his wife continues to sell them @ Underwood Bass Pickups. Also, I found that there's a copy by Shadow Pickups, the SH950 @ Shadow Electronics.
    I suspect that any of these pickups will work in a very loud environment. Of course, the only absolute anti-feedback certainty is to go strictly with a magnetic pickup. But, that sort of defeats the purpose of having an acoustic bass!

12. bassyes

bassyes

Jul 28, 2010
    Braunschweig
    IMG_1842.JPG First gig with my Christopher Busetto using a K&K Bass Max pickup via DI box into the PA. The sound was surprizingly good and the folks did enjoy.

13. jon3673

bassyes,
    This must have been a wonderful experience for you. Isn't it great when everything works! Just looking at the picture shows that it was really a fun gig!
    I have a couple of other uprights setup very similar to my Christophers, but still keep going back them because of the sound and feel.
    I find it difficult to play directly through a sound system. I think this is mostly because I have become very reliant on having my amp right behind me. In some environments I will come from the "sound out" on my amp into the PA system, but still have my amp for use as a monitor. Of course the best amp I have ever used is the Bose L1 w/2 bass speakers (because of my loB), but because it's so expensive and difficult to set up, I keep going back to my Acoustic Image Ten2. This amp is small and the best self contained amp I have found for true reproduction of my ax. I put the controls on flat response and can even hear my loB at the same volume of my other strings. The AI also responds well to my Fishman Pro pickup and doesn't require a preamp device.
    Another observation suggests that you have a belt protector on your ax. I also did this for years, before I discovered the "scratch proof mechanics belt", which doesn't have a buckle. I now wear this type of belt exclusively, in order that I can always protect my instrument.
    Anyway, enjoy your Christopher! It's a fun instrument to play!
    Jon