The Doors bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ryco, Jul 17, 2005.

1. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Who played bass for The Doors besides "Lefty"? I hear BG on their later stuff.
    These are the names I've heard so far- forgive any spelling errors
    Jeff Schilling
    Glenn Hughes
    Jerry Lombaugh
    Carol Kaye (and let's NOT go there AGAIN ;P)
    Mostly wondering who played on "Love Her Madly" - what COOL licks!
    I always wondered why The Doors didn't just go ahead and hire someone- I mean if they were gonna use one anyway. I also felt the same way about The Who since they had keys in a LOT of their stuff- even the early stuff. I admired Grand Funk for adding Craig Frost, and Billy Preston was being considered for The Beatles before they blew up. Any others or opinions?
  2. Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Don't know about the others, but that was Jerry Scheff on Love Her Madly.
  3. audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    who played bass for The Doors

Ray Manzarek's left hand my friend

correction - left hand and right foot
  4. not carol kay, just because I don't like her.;)

I don't knwo, I wondered that too. I guess they didn't wanna ruin the, eh, aura if the band with a new member.
  5. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Doug Lubahn played on a number of songs. If you have ever seen the "Wild Child" video, you can see Doug in the studio. He was left handed and played a Fender bass upside down. I believe he played the bassline on "Strange Days" also, which is a killer line. Ray Neapolitan played bass on Morrison Hotel, with the exception of "Roadhouse Blues" and "Maggie M'Gill" which blues guitarist Lonnie Mack played bass on. Harvey Brooks, of Electric Flag and Miles Davis fame played on The Soft Parade album and also toured with the Doors for a while as John Densmore wrote in his book, Riders on the Storm. And as previously mentioned, Jerry Scheff played on LA Woman.
  6. I believe Leroy Vinnegar played upright on some cuts.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    LIVE...not on the studio albums(with the exception of their debut, The Doors).

KPJ 's post sez a lot.

Scheff is on the entire L.A. Woman album; from my readings, he was about to be added as a member...then Morrison died.

URBassist Leroy Vinegar is on the Waiting For The Sun album(IIRC).

Also from my readings(maybe from Densmore's book)-
    ...The Doors were "bass-less" because they a)liked the 'openess'/non-conformity & b)people would tell them, "You guys really need a bass player"(like the Grateful Dead's soundman).
    Densmore mentioned a 'chick bass player' was auditioned but didn't pan out; I have no idea who this was.
  8. Ahhh! Doug Lubahn, Billy Squier's old bass player!
  9. this guys name was probably already mentioned, but I know that on some of their later studio releases, especially LA Woman (?), they played with one of Elvis's bassists. Thats what it said in Jim Morrisons bio anyway.

Try not to drink yourself to the point of becoming a *** *********** ****** (genious) guys.
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's Jerry Scheff.

Lakland has a "Jerry Scheff" signature bass; Scheff's son(Jason) has been in Chicago(the band) since Pete Cetera left.
  11. cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    And wasn't he in Clear Light, who were labelmates with the Doors in the 60´s (Elektra)?
  12. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000

Thats Jerry Scheff. If you dig his stuff he did with the Doors, you should definately do some research and listen to him on the Elvis stuff. Much Much better work IMO.
  13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The great Harvey Brooks played on the Doors recordings circa the Soft Parade era.
    JimK likes this.
  14. Some more Doors bassists:

Lonnie Mack
    Bob Glaub
    Jack Conrad
    Chris Ethridge
    Charles Larkey
    Leland "Lee" Sklar
    Ray Neapolitan
    Wolfgang Melz
    Willie Ruff
    Kerry Magness
    Leroy Vinnegar

15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I was wondering where all those guys showed I pulled out the 2 post-Morrison discs, Other Voices & Full Circle.

Other Voices has-
    Chris Etheridge, Jack Conrad, Leland Sklar, & Charles Larkey.

Full Circle has-
    Conrad, Ray Neopolitan, Willie Ruff(URB), Jerry Scheff, & Wolfgang Meltz.
  16. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Who the hell is Ray Neopolitan, Willie Ruff, and Wolfgang Meltz?
  17. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Ray Neopolitan - Lovin' Spoonful
    Willie Ruff - Lionel Hampton
    Wolfgang Meltz - Mark-Almond Band

Google is your friend!
  18. D.L.

Feb 23, 2008
    Hello everyone,
    I don't know how I found this forum (I think on Google), but was very interested in the replies. A few are very close to the mark. I like the reference to "Lefty". (That's me) Others are not close at all.

Here are the facts:
    I was the bass player on the albums Strange Days, Waiting For The Sun, and 3 songs on Soft Parade. We used to rehearse like banshees, and then go and record. I then decided to move to New York. All my other friends had migrated there.

I eventually ended up becoming the bass player in the Billy Squier band. Two huge albums, and two world tours. Fun times were had by all! And the audience section in front of me always had people with Doors tee shirts on.

My website is
    Just wanted to give you the real story.

47th Street likes this.
  19. billbass1

Jan 31, 2007
    Hey Doug ,
    that is just so WAY cool !
    I am curious as to why you did not join the Doors,
    as Robby Krieger says on your webiste, when they
    asked you to ?

Hey you still live in the New York area ?
    Still playing out ?
  20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Going to NY and playing in Dreams with Billy Cobham and the Breckers had to been pretty freakin cool.