1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Fender 57 Road Worn Precision pickup!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 2cooltoolz, Oct 4, 2013.

1. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Hi all.

Another dreaded "Road Worn" thread, but with a bit of a difference. For me, the 57 Road Worn P-bass is "The One That Got Away!" It was a great bass, but bad things happened in life and it was the one I was not yet sentimentally attached to.

So things are better, and I'm assembling a non-Worn Road Worn 57 Precision bass. All Fender, using a Nitro finished body and an actual Road Worn neck. Economics dictate that I buy parts slowly and I'm down to the electronics to complete.

My plan was to buy a Duncan SPB-1, and I've been watching eBay and saving my pennies, when a NEW Road Worn P-Bass pickup shows up, removed from a new RW bass. 25 Bucks! I'm not new to eBay and it seems legit. SNAP!... It hasn't arrived yet and even when it does, the bass isn't quite ready.

So, this begs the question: What IS the RW P pickup? Rather than be scolded for asking, I did the requisite TB research and found the definitive answer:
    Well, I’ve tried this, and unless someone has found a better link than I have, Fender doesn’t list parts beyond around 2005.

[QUOTE="Q";12643342]All the roadworns have the '62 RI pickup in them already. It's a great P pickup but it can be a little "soft" sounding if you prefer a more modern tone.[/QUOTE]

So there you have it. I loved the sound of my original Road Worn, and certainly intend to give this pickup a shot. As for how I can determine if it is actually a Fender Road Worn Precision pickup :confused: :confused:

By the way; A little time on my hands. I'm a furloughed federal employee :p :p :help:

Mr.Bassie720 likes this.
  2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The RW pickup can be whatever Fender decides to use. I have seen them with 62RI's (just once and it was stock), pre 2012 US Standard pickups and the more common 50's Classic pickup. Supposedly the pre 2012 US, 50's Classic and RW are all the same pickup, which is Alnico and wound around a plastic bobbin (Reissue pickups are wound on the fiber bobbin). Also note that if the poles are not beveled, it's not a 62 or "Original" pickup and probably something else.

3. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Well, they came in. I'm pretty pleased. They are indeed Road Worn, a standard Fender 56003/56004 set, American Series pre 2008 and indeed apparently standard in the Classic 50s, Road Worns, Highway Ones, and others. These are currently MIM, I don't know if they have always been. Fender part # 005-6004-049 in non-Road Worn; I don't know if the RWs have a different #.

attachment.

attachment.

Attached Files:

tortburst likes this.
  4. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I swapped out these for some Aguilars tonight and honestly, these pickups are about as good, even a little hotter. I may have spent more money than I needed to on a nominal difference.