The First Prince Recording

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Sep 2, 2004.

1. I just heard Prince's very first recording. The album is Minneapolis Genius 94 East. There is a song on there called Games that absolutely jams. He is playing a majority of the instruments. At first listen, it might sound a little cheesy, but to think this was done in 1977 when he was 16 is amazing. The bass is wicked!

Has anyone else heard this?

2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...haven't heard his debut in a long, long while.
    It's sickening to think he goes that far back!
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    ...Prince was born in 1958 :meh:

I was reading the liner notes of his second album, and it says he learnt to play 26 instruments!?! I haven't even tried to think of what those could all be, but I reckon he must be cheating by counting each kind of drum in the drumkit separately or something :D
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    probably more like "yea, I can play sax, that means I can play alto, tenor, baritone, soprano, and clarinet as well" or "yea I play trumpet, that means I can play tuba, trombone, french horn and euphonium as well" or the quintessential favorite of talkbassists "Yea, I can play guitar, that means I can play bass as well"

nyuk nyuk nyuk

Prince is awesome.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The man is TRULY a musical genius, especailly when you consider that he's had very little formal training.
  6. I saw him on this last tour he did for Musicaology, and I was amazed. I have been to a lot of concerts, and have seen a lot of great musicians, but nothing like this.
  7. I read an article somewhere describing the history of this record, and it stated that he "only" played the guitar on it.. but I guess the liner notes must be correct.

Could someone transcribe "Games" for those of us who can't make out the notes? :)
  8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Prince is HOT!

His music isn't to shabby either.
  9. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    This is a little off topic, but still Prince related. Does anyone have his new album Musicology? I am totally digging Call my Name. Rhonda Smiths line is simple yet so elegant and goes with the song. Just wondering how the entire album compares to other Prince albums and other albums being released today. I know that this is a Prince album and it should musically be above and beyond most of what is being released.
  10. Call my name is a great song and bass line. My two favorite from that album are "If Eye Was the Man In Ur Life", and "A Million Days". Those might be two of the best songs I've ever heard (from a songwriting standpoint). Prince does keep the bar high when it comes to putting out great tunes. Definitely one of the best songwriters of our generation.
  11. I have the album "Musicology". If I am remembering correctly, Prince plays most of the bass on that album and all of the instruments on "Call My Name". I'll have to check the credits though. It's amazing how he is able to create a laid back pocket like that all by himself.