Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the "For Sale" forum..

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by yoshi, Jul 14, 2005.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    argh I can't belive it's supporting members only!

I don't mean to cause an uproar, but I feel that I have supported and do support this forum 'enough' just by my activity and recommendations to others over the last 3 years. I cannot belive that the optional supporting membership scheme is gradually being enforced upon us - regardless of how you look at it.

Apologies that I sound like a scrooge - I'm a student and $20 (£13?) is too much for me to pay out to a forum.

This is the only forum I use so I definatly won't be fleeing, just wanted to voice my dismay.

oh yeah, anyone wanna buy a red 4 string bass? Or can I tempt anyone with a black 5 string fretless? ;)

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    You could tempt us with a search, This topic has been discussed at length.

Questioning Paul = Questioning a Mod

Stuff for Sale outside the For Sale forum = No-No

3. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    How much would it cost you to list two basses for sale on e-bay? $20 for a one year subscription that allows you to sell as much as you want among other perks is pretty reasonable. This is Paul's site, he allows people in so he can set the rules. You can't post a for sale flyer in the middle of WalMart can you? And please, $20 is not too much for anyone. Most people waste more than $20 a week without even realizing it. Do you smoke? Drink? Play PS? All of those can cost you way more than $20 a year. Heck, $20 is less than a lot of bass strings cost.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What kind of cheese would you like sir?

-Mike

5. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    see, this is why I dodn't want to post - and why I shouldn't have. Kind of like dishing out 'the joys of Islam' leaflets around the xmas dinner table - no one's interested because they're already 'in'.

Believe it or not, I can see and appreciated all arguments of supporting memberships and the values of money. But at the end of the day I will not pay for an intangiable service - the concept is, in theory, as bizarre as it logical: selling nothing for something!

note: I love TB, really.

6. selling nothing for somthing??

you think bandwidth is a natural occuring substance???

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Don't listen to some of these guys Yoshi, of course you're allowed to make comments regarding the site and how it's run. We're all allowed to. Paul has his reasons, and he's discussed them in other threads. This isn't something I see him changing right now, but, your thread would be more appropriate in the Suggestions area of TB, so I'll move it down there.

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well I only got "in" the other day (I'm still listed over there on the left, YAY ME!!!!!!, nobody pay Paul for a while, I need the exposure!!!) and I didn't do it so i could sell or buy from here, I did it because I wanted to support the site, and Paul's recent migration made it a bit more apparent to me that I should stop procrastinating and do it.

9. migration?

10. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    *phew* I though you were about to bust me for being a hypocrite, you know, along the lines of "I want to sell my bass but I have to pay first to do so?!"

I see the point, appreciate the costs, and think financial contribution is a good thing..

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well, you do get a t-shirt when you join. So much for your paying for nothing theory. :)

I was a member for three years before I paid my $20. I didn't pay the $20 so I could sell things. I understand the expenses incurred in having a website like this. I also appreciate the fact that I can come here without a million pop-ups while I am looking around the site. The $20 is a small token of my appreciation.

-Mike

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This has been discussed before around here in long threads - but basically there is a simple reason for this.

So there was a point in time, where a lot of people were coming along to TB just to sell gear for free - making no other contribution! :scowl:

The decision was taken to stop this, by making classifieds only available to supporters and I supported this whole-heartedly, as I don't think people should be allowed to "take advantage" of a site set up to talk about bass (that's its name!) and make money out of it by buying/selling gear ,while giving nothing back! :meh:

Besides there are plenty of other sites where you can sell gear and this has never been : "SellBass" :)

13. Or at least ignorant. T-shirt? Free? I was not aware of this- I be a supporting member, & would love to put off doing the laundry another day or two. Where do I sign?

14. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Why not make it neutral and do away with the For Sale board all together?

Another thing, isn't the For Sale stuff on the Upright Board free? What's with that? (if that's questioning a mod... so be it. delete the post)

The only thing about TB that gripes me is this don't ever question a mod stuff. They're not God and they're maturity is questionable. But since that's the rule that I don't agree with, I've opted NOT to get a supporting membership.

Finally, the attitude of the supporting members vs. non supporting discussion (from the supporting members side of the debate) is arrogant (can I question them??)

TB is still a good place to review info and stuff, but supporting membership is not elite status. So don't act like it.

15. Read this: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186619

The last two posts pretty much cover it.

Mike

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That is your choice, and you are completely within your rights to make that decision. Most mods I have talked to are very mature, but joking in a not so mature manner is fun sometimes. They are only expected to hold up some standard of decency, and they volunteer their time to help take care of this place.

Supporting members just gave a little money because they like this place. The joking about non supporters is just that. Joking. Don't take it so personally.

18. I am arrogant because my wife & kids are beautiful, not because I'm a supporting member.

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Anybody can question a mod *in a PM or email*. Have you ever seen what happens when posters start calling out mods in threads? Total bedlam, every nut comes out of the woodwork.

20. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I don't know if I should be saying all this again, since I've said it in other threads... But I firmly believe asking for compensation for the service of selling your gear is a fair practice. What newspaper classifieds will let you list something for free? Does ebay let you sell stuff for free? Any magazine?

I'm glad that you participate heavily on this site, but please realize that every day you're on this site you're costing us $. The money I pay for bandwidth every month exceeds my mortgage payment :) Every byte sent out to your computer costs $. And the Supporting Members and sponsors of this forum make it all possible.

You're free to question site practices here in the "Shack". But I don't want moderators to have to deal with users questioning their authority in their public forums. You're free to PM or email any mod with any and all of your complaints. If you don't get a satisfactory response, PM or email me. I respond to every complaint and take them all seriously. I've been doing this for 7 years now, and one thing I've learned is that if a moderator has to defend his actions in a public forum, all sense of authority is lost and the discussion quickly devolves into something very ugly. Alternatively, private complaints almost always result in a resolution satisfying both parties.