1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Hossenfeffer III Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gilmourisgod, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Annnnnnnddddd..... Its not a Ric Clone. Here's my inspiration, the Alembic Balance K:
    EkrOE7Y.jpg

And I need some TB Hive Mind Action. I tried subtly messing with the body shape, and realized after much time wasted that it CANNOT BE IMPROVED. The headstock, however is another matter. Here are (6) versions I've drawn with options for the headstock design. "Option 1" is the standard Alembic headstock profile, the other 5 are my own scribblings. I have a clear favorite, but I won't divulge it, hoping somebody pitches in their opinion:
    F96WaTK.jpg
    A5ePNW7.jpg
    Options 4-6 are takeoffs on a Bigsby Merle Travis style headstock, which Leo blatantly ripped off and toned down for the original P and J bass designs. Option 6 shows the Warmoth bridge, all the others show the Hipsot D style.

A few specs:
    32" Scale
    Richlite Faux Ebony Fingerboard with 24 Frets. the dot markers are just placeholders for now, might get Fancy with them.
    5 piece laminate neck beam, flame maple and purple heart
    Hippie sandwich = Cocobolo top, Maple center layer, sapele mahogany back
    Two Humbucker soapbar, not drawn yet.
    Passive electronics, Master Volume/Blend/Master Tone. Thinking about a Strat style jack
    Partially chambered body with F-Hole
    Two bridges shown, one the Hipshot D Style, Option 6 shows the Warmoth Streamer/Corvette style. Definitely want a two piece, the Warmoth seems to harmonize better.
    Brass nut
    Hipshot or similar ultralite "Y" shaped tuners.
    Bound fingerboard and headstock with Cocobolo cap
    Double-action trussrod and two CF bars, haven't decided on type, might go with a spoked wheel adjuster like Alembic does to keep the headstock clean.

The only body change I'm thinking of is maybe holding the little "horns" either side of the "Heart Omega" heel cutout within the natural curve of the body. They look a little fragile flying out in the breeze, maybe an Alembic owner can tell me if they have a tendency to get snapped off.

Advice Massively Appreciated

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  2. I like the option 2 headstock. It sort of reflects the omega cutout on the body. Related to that: I can see keeping those little “wings” inside the body lines.

3. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    My vote: second headstock, Warwick bridge. I think the curve in the Warwick matches the body better. As much as I appreciate the Bigsby headstock, 99.99999% of people who see it are going to think Fender, and that would be a shame.

And that's my favorite Alembic body shape, also probably one of my all time favorite bodies hands down! I like your spec list. This is going to be good!

And I agree that the horns might be better if they were a little more tame, although it's probably going to be one of those things where it's hard to get it right once you mess with it...

4. I-Am-The-Slime

I-Am-The-Slime

Jan 8, 2010
    SW VA
    I like the original, sorry... :cool: Although, going with the Ric one would fit your style :smug:

roswell1965 likes this.
  5. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    I'd take option 2, but I really prefer option 2.22 where the headstock cutout matches the shape of the cutout on the tail (scaled, presumably.) But as usual, I ain't you.

6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I like option 1 or 2 for the headstock.
    I’m not a fan of the nutsack cut out at the bottom of the body.
    It does look fancy but moves the bridge too far to the left.
    The instrument would have to be short/med. scale to comfortably play in the first position.

jbhaugh likes this.
  7. cholyoke

cholyoke Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Rubber City
    Option 2.22 (the matching cutout mentioned above by T_Bone. Option 2 is good, too. The string holder in option 6 looks better than the straight one. If you don't want to keep the heart horns, make the cut out match what you did in headstock 2. The symmetry is nice.

I am looking forward to watching the build.

Obese Chess and T_Bone_TL like this.
  8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I actually tried that, but it looked like too much detail crammed into too little space, maybe I'll take another crack at it as Option 7.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  9. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    Option #2 then #2 and finally #2. In that order.

10. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    Actually I doo see something to consider changing on the body. The waist looks a little thin to me. Maybe just a hair wider.

11. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    So excited to see this getting started!! :hyper:

I agree about the body shape being perfect, but the headstock considerably less so. I would never have thought to do a Ric-style headstock on an Alembic-style body, but that actually looks pretty harmonious. #2 works as well, but it still looks a little too large. All of the first three suffer from non-straight string pull, which is no big deal, except for people who think it's a big deal. All of the second three - the four-on-a-side family - are hideous. Was that a cruel test? :meh:

The D-style bridge looks great, but honestly the Warwick looks even better. Too bad they put a big "W" on it.

Strat jack - just no. No no no. That would be like putting a big chrome winch bar on the front of a Silver Shadow. Or building a large glass pyramid in front of a Renaissance royal palace-turned-museum. No no no. :mad:

I read somewhere that the point(s) at the body end of most Alembics was intentional, to ensure that owners always used a proper instrument stand and not just lean it against a chaise. Somebody with more credentials will come along and confirm or refute that, I've no doubt...

32" scale should work well here, good call!

12. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    For my Warwick-bridge-equipped bass, I just tell people it stands for Wicked Awesome. Since Gilmour is from the MA area, I'm assuming he can pull off enough of a Boston accent to make that work...

13. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    I like the idea of something original in the headstock that echoes the body shape somehow. I'm not a huge fan of their original shape, the Ric does surprisingly flow, but it's a Ric; the Merle looks interesting to my eye, but I also think most will think it's a Fender, plus it's just not as pleasant a visual accent against the body. I think I'd keep pursuing different shapes until something original, complementary and flowing emerges. :) Maybe try some headstock shapes that incorporate the "nutsack"? Jeez @Lesfunk I've never thought of the heart omega that way but now I can't unsee it. :laugh:

I'm also another vote against the Warwick bridge which I presumed stood for "Wank" for many years. :thumbsup:

ctmullins likes this.
  14. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I vote for Option 2.22: The Nutcracker.

15. Sub'd
    I like both two and three, but I'd lean toward the Rick headstock with a matching Cocobolo cap :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  16. I'm gonna buck the system here and say option 3. ;)

tilehilder likes this.
  17. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    I prefer option 3 and nr 2 second best.

18. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Bite your Own Tongue, Sir! I like my basses thin-waisted, and if that isn't a voluptuous body shape, I don't know what is. I actually tried a little fiddling around the edges, and.... nope. Everything I tried detracted from the whole, which may say more about my crappy eye for curved shapes than the design itself, but I honestly don't think that shape can be improved on.

I built a new body for my Steinberger XP-2 a few years ago, I had noticed that the OMEGA HEART CUTOUT (if we can all refrain from calling it the "Nut Sack", I'm certain some female builders in particular would find this thread more inspiring :D) was a nice shape to allow finger access to headless tuners, so I'm not opposed to the idea of single vs. double heel cutout, just kinda been there/done that for me. Hopefully you can see some vague hints of Alembic in this build, which was what I shot for.... and missed a little
    7RVke8T.jpg
    HyYiEvL.jpg

19. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    And for you Spiteful Merle Travis Deniers, feast your eyes! That headstock is NOT KIDDING, and it's not "your bass looks like a Fender", its "Your Fender is a Blatant Knockoff of a Merle Travis".;)
    NNtUI9X.jpg

20. Reading the title quickly, I thought it said the Hasselhoff build.

wmhill, Reedt2000, MattZilla and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021