The jazz theory book by Mark Levine work through

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by David A. Davis, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Hey guys. I'm relatively new to jazz, EBG player (no double). I bought this book a good while back and have yet to really dig into it. I was just wondering if there was anyone else who has the book and would like work through it together. Maybe create a book thread and post different questions here that we may have about the material. If you don't have the book here is a link for it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Theory-Book-Mark-Levine/dp/1883217040

2. Silevesq

Silevesq

Oct 2, 2010
    Quebec
    Very nice book, lot's of concret example. Very well made :) I bought it over 10 years ago and still serve me well. It all depend what you are looking for.

3. I may just go ahead start working through it by myself and come back here with any questions I have. I’m sure there are plenty of people willing to answer my silly questions.

4. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Gold Supporting Member

Aunty Eminor???
    Seriously - Any serious bassist, (or any improvising musician, for that matter - yes, I'm looking at you too, drummers), should get to, and begin to learn how to operate, a piano. The benefits are too numerous to mention here.
    Literally.
    IMFNO.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    DrayMiles and Joshua Pickenpaugh like this.
  5. I’m no pianist, but I do have a cheap keyboard in my music room that I refer to quite often while practicing bass.

6. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    @David A. Davis, I think the Jazz Theory Book is a fantastic resource on multiple levels. I've worked through it myself and have found it very helpful, especially Mark's approach to melodic minor. One of these days I'll work through Mark's piano book too!

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that, should you have any questions about what you're learning, feel free to post them here in this thread and I will try to help.

David A. Davis likes this.
  7. lurk

lurk Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2009
    NYC
    The piano book really won't give you a lot that isn't in the theory book. Both are excellent. My only quibble is that there's really not much on developing melodic ideas or developing rhythmic skills. For that stuff I strongly recommend Mike Longo's stuff, particularly The Improvised Melodic Line.

David A. Davis likes this.
  8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Great idea and I'm certain that I would benefit from working through this with you. I've had this book for more than a decade, but working back through it with a collaborator would, no doubt, open some new things up for me. Unfortunately, I'm focused on a different area of practice right now and can't divert, but hopefully some one will join you in this.

Another time and it would be me.

9. Cool. Maybe this will evolve into a thread anyone who's working on this book can refer back to.

10. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    This is THE BOOK as far as I am concerned. The right balance of theoretic and actual working knowledge. I saw Mark play at Cezannes years ago. Good player.

PS..Gotta have a piano to get the max value out of this book.