1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Jobs Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Red Planet, May 11, 2011.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    I know for many out there the job situation is sucking wind.

I suppose you could say I am fortunate as I've been employed through all of this economic downturn but on the other side of that deal I have been trapped in a miserable situation.

The company I worked for was a family owned business of whom I adored. With the economic downturn they struggled to make ends meet and ended up selling out to a giant corporation. The transition was scary and uncomfortable for all of us. As we were just getting used to the transition, they purchased another company just like us and then crammed us together.

Things went from bad to worse quickly with all the flexing and war between lots of folks. I got a demotion out of the deal while a couple of my contemporaries got a raise in pay (to make us equal). People have been dropping like flies out of this situation with layoffs, firings, and quiting.

I have been dealing with this mess for almost a year. I have went months without sleep and my insides all torn up. This deal has probably taken 10 years off my life.

Fast forward to today. In my long quest for another job I finally found something and am just so relieved. I feel like I have been cleansed.

And to those that have taken great pleasure in making my life a living hell all I can say is "Johny Paycheck it Baby".

I start my new job Monday. To beat it all I have been driving into Atlanta for many years. My new commute is 1 1/2 miles.:eek::D

This thread is for anyone wanting to rant about the current job situation, their sucky job, or anything that pertains to working for someone else.

2. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Congrats on your new job. ;)

3. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thas it? No one else?

Submitted my resignation today. I do not wish going through this for anyone.

4. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Congrats on the new job. I am fortunate to work for a company I love that is 25 minutes from my home. I consider myself very very lucky to have gainful employment that I actually like.

5. tww001

tww001 Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    All the best to you, brother.

6. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Every summer I'll go down to a tennis club to help assistant manage. It's a 2 minute drive from my house, it's outdoor work, it's easy, it's on the water, and it's a great way to pocket some straight spending money. I'll work alongside teachers and friends I've had since high school. Fun times.

I make a living though, through a wedding and entertainment company. The downside is, like this weekend for example, I have to drive about 3 hours upstate to do a wedding, then come home after. With gas prices, tolls, and my clunker jeep, it can really suck. BUT, I CAN'T COMPLAIN! I'm making awesome money playing, and I get to see all these cool places every weekend all year long. I usually carpool with one of our singers, and it makes the trip easy. But sometimes I'm making these long hauls 2-3 times a week. Just gotta save my receipts for tax time! Not to mention the countless traffic, people, crowded streets, and parking garages in NYC...ugh, hate those things. Strange though, I still love what I do! At least I'm on the island (where I'm from) tomorrow. And it's just a cocktail hour. So I'll be able to save some energy for Saturday.

Congrats on the new job. Sounds like you put your time in, paid your dues, and it paid off for you in the end. In the form of a better job!

7. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    If I have learned anything, it's that if you have employment you really like you should not take it for granted. All of us really did not understand what we had until it was gone. Those people took care of us, spoiled us, and treated us with respect.

Unfortunately the new company has done it's best to remove through process or personelle any resemblence of it's former glory.

That chapter in my life is closed now and I look forward to the next one. :)

8. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thanks guys. I feel like a tremendous weight has been lifted. Where is that smiley wiping off his brow when you need it?:D