Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Knack

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Sorry folks, but that band kicked major butt. Just got the reissue of "Get the Knack" and I am sooo digging it. Great bass tone, great bass lines - an unbelievable mix of pop, rock, and punk. they were one of the most nauseatingly pop rock groups of thier time, yet they still had edge to them. Great harmonies, great melodies... what's not to like about these guys?

"She's the primadonna queen, coming from the quallude scene."

"I don't want much. I don't wanna be your boyfriend forever. I just wanna - touch." Classic. Buy this album. :)

That song was playing while I was writing this.

2. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I agree, great band. Great drummer, great guitar solo at the end of "My Sharona", great hooks, just the kind of thing I'm looking for now.

3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    That record sold 6 million copies!! Great stuff produced by Mike Chapman, who produced The Sweet.

Knack trivia:

Frontman Doug Fieger's brother is bigwig attorney and
    FoxNews commentator Geoffrey Fieger...

Slug

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I bought that LP on Nov. 26 / 79. Still have it in perfect condition. "My Sharona" drove me crazy every time I heard it on the radio. I also liked "Let Me Out", "Your Number Or Your Name", "Oh Tara", "(She's So) Selfish", "Heartbeat", "Siamese Twins (The Monkey And Me)", "Lucinda"... well, practically the whole album!

I also associate "My Sharona" with other songs that were big hits at the time (I mean, late 70's) and I enjoyed a lot: Chic's "Le Freak", Eagles' "Heartache Tonight", Rod Stewart's "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?", Boney M's "Rasputin" and "Rivers Of Babylon", M's "Pop Muzik", the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack... Aahh... the good ol' days... I'm gonna cry right now! :bawl:

BTW, do you know who was the drummer for The Knack in recent years? (I don't know if he's still with them): Prog rock extraordinarie TERRY BOZZIO!

6. I got that record in winter of either 79 or 80. My mom made me take it back. I didn't get it until 10 years later. But I still have the 45 of My Sharona/Let Me Out.

I've always thought Let Me Out would be a kickass cover, and it's one of the greatest opening tracks to an album. Ever.

One of those rare albums that really is great all the way through.