1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The less talked about brands

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jaruquin, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

Sep 8, 2012
    I was wondering what everyone’s opinion is about brands like Ashdown, Acoustic, and Peavey. You never really see anyone talking about these brands. I know there cheaper, just curious to know from the people that have owned them if they are good or a waste of money.

2. Learn to use the search function.
    All kinds of discussions on these brands.

3. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    They're good. They're all good. Everything is good. Just play rock music and don't worry about it. Good.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I love older Acoustic stuff I had one of the new Acoustic mini stacks it was alright nothing special. I have never owned Ashdown but the people who do love them. Peavey gets discussed in many threads it is solid gear built like a tank I have a Peavey T-45 bass and it is a gorgeous bass that plays like a dream.

5. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    Ashdown is a great brand..the ABM is an iconic amp.. its just not a mega company.. family owned and everything is scaled accordingly..

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ashdown is mostly really good. Peavey's higher end stuff is pretty good. GC Acoustic...eh, not impressed.

7. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I've gone thru a ton of gear, some common, some boutique, my Ashdown abm is one of the few keepers. amazingly good amp!

8. I love me some Peavey gear, but right now the only two bass specific items that are worth writing home about are their two all tube amps, VB-2, VB-3. They make a nice power amp (IPR) but that isnt bass specific.

9. 90dphillips

90dphillips

Jan 11, 2012
    Murrieta
    Okay,

I have an acoustic head and two cabs to make a full stack. The head went out a few months ago, but it was heavily used before I got it, and I used it (I may have been a little rough too) for a couple years. The cabs are pretty amazing sounding for being the cheapest ones I could find in a 4x10 and 1x15. The outside material though, don't fall in love with it, it's gonna peel off.

I recently got a vintage US made acoustic head and 2x15 cab. Sounds legendary. Got it super cheap. Again, outside wasn't the best material selection.

I'm a halfway acoustic fan, and I like the price. I'd suggest it for any new player or for someone trying to get a decent sound but is on a budget.

But NOT their new line of Acoustic Mark II series!!!! They are complete crap. I work at guitar center, and every single one had a major issue with it. I have not sold a single one to a customer because I'm honestly doubtful any of these new acoustic amps can make it past two years. And that's two years safe at home, not even taking it to practices or shows.

So old acoustic is good. Older acoustic is the best. New acoustic is terrible.

Side note: look up Carvin. I'm a huge fan. USA made, quality sound, built in DI, graphic EQ (option to bypass), HUGE tone control over mids to get the sound to punch through a mix and be heard, optional compression, high powered and affordable. You can get a quality American amp under 500 and love it. I've got the BX600 head. Huge sound, low price.

10. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I have a good friend touring with a semi-major artist, and he uses an Aguilar Tone Hammer with a 4x10 Peavey cab. Says he has found nothing better, and he has been through a few cabinets in his day. I used Peavey for gigging for about a decade. Very dependable, but not Made in China back then.

I also owned an Ashdown Superfly. It wasn't dependable. I took it to the shop and they couldn't locate the problem. After carrying it to two more gigs where it refused to work, I simply gave it away to a young bassist. I am burnt on Ashdown and will never purchase another. Your mileage may vary.

11. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    those Superflys we're a problem child it seems.

12. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Ashdowns are becoming very popular on major stages. I'm not sure if they have a big endorsement program or not, but I'm seeing more pop up every day.

I own the ABM, honestly it's one of the best deals out there, especially used.

13. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I played a Peavey Mark IV head for a few years, as well as a Peavey Combo 300. Both sounded great to my ears. The Combo 300 was nice because it had a Black Widow speaker, whereas I played the Mark IV through two Peavey 115 cabs with Scorpion speakers. Still sounded fine, but I liked the Black Widow better. Peavey is good, just heavy as hell.

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've been using and endorsing Ashdown amps and cabs for about 15 years and I have never had a problem with the product at all.

If you ever get a chance to check out Ashdown, definitely give the brand a spin.

15. ncapone

ncapone

Nov 17, 2010
    I played an Ashdown combo at the Atlanta Bass Gallery a couple years ago and the thing was smoking. Awesome hot sound for 2 12s.

I currently own an Acoustic B200. For a long time it was my main amp. It's not bad for the price. I would love to get a vintage stack or one of the new USA stacks.

16. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    The Ashdown Touring 220W 1x15 Tube Pre Bass Combo Amp Black is MF stupid deal of the day. Usually $750 they are $380 through the SDotD email.

I'm trying to resist...

Cheers!

MJW

17. Rugmaster

Rugmaster

Dec 6, 2012
    The Peavey VB-2 seems to be pretty popular since it's 250 watts and all tube for only $899 new

18. I love my Peavey Tour 700 head. I only wish it had a comp, but it absolutely pounds.

19. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    ashdown is not cheap by any means. majorly expensive.

nate mendel from foo fighters uses ashdown.

20. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Musicians Friend subbed the Ashdown Touring 220W 1x15 Tube Pre Bass Combo Amp Black for the Ashdown head they sold out of. It's $379 right now. I may pull the trigger...

Cheers!

MJW