1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The " Looking for new Band " Gripe Thread.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Red Planet, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Yourekinsprekin.

Lifeofitsown.

2. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Maybe you should alter your ad to more precisely state what you are looking for. "Real music", "meaning", and "challenge" are very subjective terms. Do you want to do covers or originals? If covers, mention a few specifics; if originals, state some influences and what your music is "kinda like". Maybe post some tunes on a website and give a link.

It's clear that you are looking for folks who don't have to depend on music for their income, but "close to my age" doesn't really say anything unless you provide a number. How important is that, though? In my band, the oldest member is 59 and the youngest is 25.

IMO, you need to throw away the shotgun approach and pick up a rifle with a scope on it.

One more thing, it wouldn't hurt to have someone else proofread your ad. If you want to attract serious intelligent folks to play with you, grammar and spelling in your ad are important. I'd lose the Capitalization for Emphasis, too.

3. Yeah, I have a gripe. What's with all the unnecessary capitalization?

on edit: I didn't read the reply above me before I posted, but I see he agrees.

4. filter

filter

Jun 7, 2003
    Atl, GA
    I have been looking for a band in the Atl metro also.
    All the ones I find are into Southern rock.
    Not that there is anything wrong with that.
    It just surprises me that so many people are into it.

5. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    That ad comes off as a joke, like you don't know how to write. I wouldn't respond to it.

6. ... and again - what's with all the capitalization?

7. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Lol join the club dude. I think I've exhausted the Atlanta Craigslist Musician postings to no end at this point. Maybe we should start an all bassist group (with a drummer) lol.

8. HugoM

HugoM

Jul 3, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Are there any open jam nights at the clubs? It may be a way to network and get "in the loop."

9. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    But it has everything to do with getting musicians (especially the talented intelligent musicians you claim to be fishing for) to respond to your ad. If I were in Atlanta and uncommitted, there's a good chance that I'd be someone you'd be interested in playing with (I'm a little older, married, and not dependent on music for my livelihood. I've got scads of equipment and a home studio, and I've been playing in original bands as well as the occasional cover band for many years. I'm not a "southern rocker", either.), but your ad as originally written wouldn't snag me. I'm trying to help, not beat you up over trivialities.

PS: Once you post a thread, it's no longer "yours". Threads take on a life of their own, and that's a good thing, IMO. It's open discussion, not a directed presentation.

10. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Maybe his first Language is German

11. Am I the only one who sees the irony here?

12. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    mUsT dO bDDerr intra da FUturerers. WhoopPPPss the Short Bus is here now GOTa go Now.