1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Mike Lull Club Part 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, May 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Fellow Lull Nerds,

Can someone comment on the feel of the M4XL? I've always been intrigued by the body and neck. Does the neck feel longer, i.e. do you need to extend your fretting hand further out? Even though a Roscoe 4 is 34", it has a reachy feel for the fretting hand.

Also, there is a curious amount of wood between the bridge and the end of the bass. Is that odd feeling?

I'm not in dire need of two more frets or anything. But I kinda dig the vibe, and I'm just curious about them.

01-gallery.jpg

TolerancEJ and Fred312b like this.
  2. GeeBass

GeeBass Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2004
    North/Central NJ
    That 'reachy feel' mentioned is not really due to having the extra frets. It is actually due to the shorter upper horn and strap button location.
    Since the lower horn is shorter for access to 24th fret - many builders for sake of looks also make the upper horn with strap button somewhat shorter.
    This reduced strap button location in relation to nut, is what causes first position to feel further away - because it actually is.
    I agree - it can cause arm/shoulder pain from additional outward reaching, and also puts the wrist at a more precarious angle when playing in lower positions.
    This is something I look at and consider when evaluating every new bass purchase.

CaptainWally and Fred312b like this.
  3. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Cool - thanks. Do you know if the M4XL has a shorter horn and has this issue?

4. GeeBass

GeeBass Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2004
    North/Central NJ
    I made the comment from looking at the photo you'd posted. Compare this visually to other basses you own.
    The strap button falls a bit short of the 12th fret, and where typical J and P basses strap buttons are located.
    Even just a small distance back from the 12th fret makes a big difference in how far away first position will feel for you - when playing using a strap.
    You will find this same issue on most 24 fret basses being made - and it surprises me that more people don't complain about this to the builders that do this.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    CaptainWally likes this.
  5. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    XL = extra long? that should be a clue, as you suspect, going to feel reachy for you versus, say, a Fxxder jazz.

TonyP- likes this.
  6. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    6875765D-4192-4510-A29B-74DDAF64BDE8.jpeg Just stopped by Mike’s shop to drop off a bass. Played several basses he has up on the wall there. All super nice. I don’t own any of his basses but they definitely play nice. Awesome necks to be sure! I couldn’t figure out how the preamps worked on most of them. Lots of knobs and switches.

7. Notch Johnson

Notch Johnson

Jan 12, 2015
    Minneapolis
    Just saw on the Lull Facebook page that Mike passed away on Wednesday this week. Sounds like it was unexpected. He was one of the good guys. Rest In Peace Mike.

Jaco Pastashoot and Fred312b like this.
  8. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I’m so sorry to learn this. Such a loss.

Jaco Pastashoot likes this.
  9. Rest in Peace, Mike . . . .

10. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yep. Rest easy, Mike. You will be sorely missed.

11. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    Can’t believe he’s gone. I’ve owned 8 different Lull basses before, and all were amazing. Mike was great to talk to on the phone, anytime I called with questions. I know the bass community and I will miss him greatly.

Fred312b likes this.
  12. tedw

tedw Gold Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    I'm so sorry to hear of Mike's passing. He was a precious friend and encouragement to me as a bass player over the years. His wife once gave me vocal lessons and I'm sorry for her and the whole family's loss. Mike was not just a great luthier, he was also a great leader. He developed an the awesome Mike Lull team. I know the loss is great, but they will carry on making the same great instruments with Mike's signature style.

Fred312b and Mastermold like this.
  13. Holdsg

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    oh no, this is shocking, terrible, and so unexpected.
    what a great guy, great luthier, tremendous asset to the bass community.
    Fly in peace, bass brother!

14. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I'm a bit lost right now...

15. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Damn! Glad I met him and stopped by his shop, this is a real gut shot. I'm going to cherish this even more:
    20190511_154339.jpg

Holdsg and Toptube like this.
  16. Holdsg

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Completely how I feel

TonyP- likes this.
  17. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    :-(

Godspeed, Mike.

18. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    An avatar change to honor the man

Holdsg likes this.
  19. vates

vates

Nov 15, 2007
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I'm heartbroken and numb.

PWV and Holdsg like this.
  20. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Mike not only helped my career He was life long friend.

My last words to him was “I will always support You” and his heartfelt response was “I know...I know You will”

Fishface, GregC, CaptainWally and 7 others like this.