1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The most important thing(s) you've learned....

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by ltfunko, Sep 25, 2013.

1. ltfunko

ltfunko The official Talkbass profile of Cody Wright Commercial User

Apr 23, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO (Asheville, NC)
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Mesa/Boogie, Dunlop/MXR, TC Electronic, GRUV GEAR, EBS, Tsunami Cable
    from being on tour with Victor Wooten?

2. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    You should be asking Victor what is the most important thing he learned from Anthony. There's a reason that of all the available bassists Victor has Anthony on tour with him...and it's not because of Ant's appreciation of all things Halle. ;)

3. Lennard III.

Lennard III.

Aug 21, 2008
    Germany
    Endorsing Artist : Fodera Guitars , Harvest fine leather bags & straps
    :D

4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    I've learned many things from Victor. And like JMac said,...he's learned many things from me.

One of the things that I learned is what it really means to be a professional. And it's a very definition than what most people have.

peace,
    ant

5. ltfunko

Apr 23, 2011
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Mesa/Boogie, Dunlop/MXR, TC Electronic, GRUV GEAR, EBS, Tsunami Cable
    Thanks for your answer, Anthony, but I'm kind of confused! Could you share some examples of what you are talking about?

6. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland

7. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    I'm still learning how to use the new version of this app. Nothing makes sense to me yet.

Most musicians on the planet are hobbyist. Even most of the musicians who get paid for gigs are hobbyist.

For me I needed to 'define' what it means to be a professional.

But it's no different than the guy who plays basketball with his buddies in the weekend and a guy in the NBA.

There's a DISCIPLINE that goes along with being a 'professional' at anything. Music is an art and a science. Professionals treat it as such.

PeacePp

8. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    The most important thing I've ever learned is
    How to be comfortable and really get to know the instrument in and out. Any instrument and
    Be dedicated to what you do with music and take it and pushing your self to new styles of music and learning to play other things. No true musician is ever done learning. And most of all be an innovator at what you do. Stand out and play the sh** out of the instrument like no tomorrow.

9. ltfunko

Apr 23, 2011
    Yeah, it's more of a lifestyle adjustment than anything else. I have so many friends who are "musicians" that sit around listening to music way, way more than playing it. I know listening is important, but there's a difference in the intensity of approach...

10. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Yea, there's what I refer to as the 'mechanism if working'. Most musicians don't understand what it even means to be a professional. Playing music is a 'glorified' hobby for most people.

But when the money from every single bill that you pay comes from making music you quickly learn what it means to be a professional.

I've been a full-time musician since the 90s. If a person thinks that it's something we 'physically' do then they wouldn't make it as a musician.

First and foremost we're business people. We just happen to be in the business in music. Musicians in college shouldn't be majoring in music. They should be majoring in business. And I'm not taking about music business. They should be majoring in BUSINESS.

Peace,
    anthony

11. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    True. Music and business are practically the same.