The most outrageous signature basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Well with seemingly every bass player who's famous getting a signature model it must be said that with plenty of those basses are a pretty standard affair, there aren't really that many signature models where the player went "Right, I want something that's really out there."

So I figured it to be fun to talk about those signature basses that stand out.

And I'll start with Golden Earring bassist Rinus Gerritsen who has two Signature models made by Vox Humana guitars.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now those familiar with Golden Earring's music know that Gerritsen has been and always will be a Dano-man having used his mid sixties Longhorn well into the late seventies when it was stolen during the tour they did with Aerosmith.
    Eight miles high bass solo - YouTube
    Gerritsen live in 1968 doing a solo on his Dano.

Now that Dano had been modified to have a stereo Woofer-Tweeter set up via a Y-cable, him being one of the very first who came up with something like that. And that feature remained on all his basses ever since. So when Vox Humana approached him to do a signature bass he clearly knew what he wanted and what he didn't want: because the Dano was a disaster to use in the studio with its virtually non-existant intonation. The resulting Dano style basses come in either short or long scale and in Four or five string versions, with Sperzel locking tuners keeping everything in key.
    [​IMG]
    The Five string Gerritsen Signature, note the twin outputs.

Now the second signature bass finds its origine even further back. It's based on a Bass that Gerritsen's dad had made him when he was a teenager.
    [​IMG]
    And he used that bass first as his main bass and after the dano came into play as his back up. During that time that bass was constantly modified and evolved so much that it eventually became known as "Darwin"
    [​IMG]

Now the Vox Humana Darwin again has the stereo woofer-tweeter set up and comes in long and short scale versions.
    [​IMG]
    A Darwin ordered by the man himself, in Olympic white like his old Fender.

Those signature basses and the Darwins in particullar allowed Gerritsen to finally retire what is probably his best known bass.
    052001.jpg
    This monster was made by Gerritsen and his father to incorporate both the twang of a Dano and the punch of a Fender in one instrument and after his original Dano got stolen it became his main bass. It had the pickups of a Gibson Thunderbird coupled with Danelectro lipsticks and that's the pickup combination he stuck with.
    GOLDEN EARRING "Bass Solo" RINUS GERRITSEN - YouTube
    Gerritsen using his double neck in the early eighties.

That double neck is a pretty hefty piece of engineering, so with his Darwins now taking over his shoulders can finally get a break.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Those are pretty wild basses. Big fan of Rinus Gerritsen.

3. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    Those are pretty crazy. The double neck fender/dano thing is great. I was thinking of Bootsy when talking outrageous signatures, but these kinds are the ones that bring out the gear envy.

4. Dang it, you can't open a thread with basses like these. Hard for anything to compare with these basses.

5. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Well with Bootsy's star basses you'll have that "What the heck am I going to do with that, other than Bootsy style funk?" once you actually hold it in your hands. With both Rinus Gerritsen's models you'll go "Let me at it, I wanna play that." it's a more universal thing he has going with them. You don't need to be a fan (or even aware of) the music of Golden Earring to see some kind of application for them.

Bootsy's star bass and Gene Simmons' Axe bass are different matters, those basses were meant for a style of music and would be looking terribly out of place when used for something else. Rockers will love the pointy look of the Darwin while retro bands will love the updated Dano style one, making it a much more practical instrument than a real Dano ever was.

6. Circuitbender

Circuitbender

Feb 10, 2010
    CT, USA
  7. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Wow, I really dig the basses in the OP!

The Tye Zamora Fender is pretty outrageous, given that it's a Fender.

imagAux1_Tye-Zamora.jpg

8. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Lesh's bass takes the top prize so far hands down. Looks like it belongs in a Star Wars episode.

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    I love both Lesh and Clayton's sigs.

Now, Roger Waters... black bridge? :scowl:

:smug:

10. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I was gonna say Bootsy too.

Come to think of it what about Stu Hamm's old Fender sig. the URGE II?
    It wasn't werid look wise but, soundwise it looked like it belonged in a zoo. A P pickup sandwhiched between two jazz pickups that too me is overkill.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021