1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Multi Tool Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Hello, all, and Happy New Year!

I have a Leatherman original multi tool that I bought about 20 years ago. It has served me well, and it's still in pretty good shape.

The main blade is a little dull, and I feel a few of the tools don't lock in place as snugly as they used to, so I want to get a replacement.

So far, these are the three contenders:

1.) Leatherman Blast 830030 Leatherman Blast Multi-Tool, Stainless Steel with Needlenose Pliers Head & 16 Components with Leather Sheath, Closed Length 4"

2.) SOG Paratool B31N SOG Paratool Multi-Tool, Stainless Steel with Needle Nose Head & Nine Components, Black Oxide Finish, Overall Length 6.4", Closed 4.3".

3.) Swiss Tool Victorinox 56905 SwissTool - Stainless Steel in Pocket Knives | JR.com

I like the angle head capability of the paratool, but I've read a few reviews on the Swiss tool, and some say it's the best one on the market.

So, which one do you use?

Do you have any other recommendations?

Are there any multi tools that you don't like, and why?

I want to keep the price to about $75, but if there's a tool you particularly like that's more expensive, by all means please suggest it.

Who would have guessed that a camera store like Adorama would sell so many multi tools and knives?

Mike

2. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
  3. Why not just sharpen the one you have? It's not that hard to learn and I'd think someone could sharpen it if you didn't want to learn.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I still have my SOG Paratool that I bought in the mid 90s. The blades/tools don't "lock" as securely as other multitools I've seen and the selection is a bit bare bones, but it's served me very well. Also, it's a bit heavy...but they kind of all are. Can't they lighten these things up a bit?

5. I've thought of doing this, but the fact that some of the tools don't lock as securely as they once did made me decide to get a new tool.

Martin89, good find! Amazon sells the Super tool for $20 less than Adorama!
    831103 Leatherman Super Tool 300 Multi-tool with Sheath, 19 Tools in 1

Elgecko, they do make some really bare bones models like the Leatherman Kick. 830018 Leatherman Kick Stainless Steel Multi-Tool with Leather Case, 12 Tools in 1
    To me, this is essentially a pocket knife with a set of pliers on it. A bigger tool has more stuff, but they can be a pain to carry.

Less or more? :meh:

Thanks, guys. Keep those ideas coming, folks. ;)

Mike

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I still use my old Leatherman Super Tool... I've considered buying a spare since they were going real cheap on eBay last I looked. If I went new, I'd get the Super Tool 300... and I always double check Amazon when I'm shopping, they almost always have things the cheapest :)

7. The biggest problem I have ever had with any multi-tool (and I've had and broken several) has always been the wire cutters. I prefer a tool like the Leatherman Sidekick with side-cutting pliers because they don't bend as easily when cutting heavier stuff. I either go for that or something that is pretty light if I plan on carrying it every day, since my multi-tool is strictly there for an Oh S**t fix, since using the proper tool is always better.

Oh yes, and get a proper carry knife :D Wilson Combat Makers Of The Finest Custom 1911 Handguns In The World This is mine :D

Peace,
    Greg

8. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    leatherman will repair their old tools

the 20 year warranty claim was made, because the original builder thought that a lifetime warranty sounded too gimmicky... Leatherman stands behind their old tools without question or complaint

the SOG one is great. I have one of those too, but that angle head does not lock at an angle. That can result in bloody knuckles

9. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Yeah, the amazon one is a good buy, but my dad will still pick up super tool 200's in pawnshops if the price is right(often $15 or less). Super Tools are probably the best of the Leatherman series in my opinion. I've had the original, pst's, and micro/micras.

Edit: I have also had a ton of Gerbers issued to me in the service and just prefer Leatherman's design/layout. Play around with some in a store though, you may find you like something different.

10. HaRd

HaRd

Aug 10, 2011
    Long Island
    This is a perfect thread because I am actually in the same boat. I have an old "no-name" multi tool and I want to upgrade to something with a name and maybe a little more features. I have a small victorianox basic pocket knife on my keychain and I use in quite often and the scissor hinge broke and the blade is incredibly dull after only 2 years. I'm actually really surprised by how poor the quality seems to be since I wasn't trying to cut stone with this thing and it was basically used to cut open boxes and saran wrap.

EDIT: Something that would be great for fishing would be even more ideal since I always seem to forget to bring a pair of pliers when I go :(

11. I have a couple of True Utility tools; they're pretty good, but I'm not sure if they're available stateside.

12. Hi.

Leatherman Super Tool for me.

Regards
    Sam

13. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Many of the leatherman models have fish-oriented tools like scalers, hook-pullers, etc. and of course pliers :D

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have several multitools, The only one I carry is the Leatherman Skeletool. I carry it every day because it fits in my pocket and is the perfect size and weight, and just the right selection of tools. Screw drivers, knife, pliers, wire cutters, bottle opener, carbiner. And it looks good.
    I don't feel the need to carry around scissors, a saw, an awl, a wine bottle corkscrew, etc... they just add size and weight and are rarely, if ever used.
    Check out the Skeletool.

Amazon.com: Leatherman Skeletool CX Multi-Tool - Stainless Box: Home Improvement

15. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    I had one and liked the tool selection but found the knife chipped easily.and it rusted within a week of actually using it. probly be fine in and around the city, but didnt stand up to much more.

16. dmonroe

dmonroe

Jun 16, 2010
    Augusta, GA
  17. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I have a Leatherman Fuse which is nearly identical to the Leatherman Blast you have listed in your options. It's got some good features, but the two things I use (and bought) it for are kinda meh. The blade itself wasn't particularly sharp right out of the box, also the wire cutters/needle nose pliers aren't as good at cutting through bass strings as I'd like. Just my experience.

18. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    There are two two versions of the Skeletool, one uses 420HC steel for the blade, the other version, the CX uses 154CM steel.

"154CM: An American made premium grade stainless steel originally developed for tough industrial applications. Known for its best all-around qualities, it offers great corrosion resistance with good toughness and edge quality."

I have both versions of the Skeletool, and the very similar Freestyle and never had either one rust or chip. I would say that I use mine for something nearly every single day. I don't live in the city.

19. Bloody knuckles?

No thanks. :D

After spending some time looking at all the multi tools at Adorama, the place from which I'll probably buy, I'm kind of liking this one by SOG: B60L SOG PowerLock Multi-Tool, Stainless Steel with Needle Nose Head & Thirteen Components, Black Oxide Finish, Overall Length 7.0", Closed 4.6".

It's got scissors, which I want rather than the V-cutter, which can be used for cutting seat belts, and I like the compound leverage feature on the pliers.

I don't think I'll need the EOD model. (Explosive Ordinance Disposal)

Somehow, I don't think I'm going to come across that many bombs that will need to be disposed of. :D

Here it is at the SOG site: SOG PowerLock EOD Multi Tool With Black Oxide Finish From SOG Specialty Knives & Tools

There's a demo video at the bottom of the page.

Now, I just have to convince myself that I really need this.

After reading everyone's input, I see that there really is no one perfect tool; you just have to decide which features you don't need, and how much you want to spend.

Keep the ideas coming.

Mike

20. Opps!

I just noticed I posted the link for the EOD model.

How embarrassing! :oops:

Mike