Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Nerve!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I want to give this a few more spins before I really dive into it, it usually takes me some time to get really into a recording. So far I can say, this is definitely good stuff, I like the upbeat feel to it......I get the impression this is definitely a "fun" band, and that impression didn't get lost in the recording. Joe's playing is a perfect fit for the band, and the man has some nice skills! He moves around a lot, without becoming disconnected....nice work!

After one complete spin on the CD, there is only one song that doesn't really grab me....."one more million times", but it does have a cool fretless tone. I can honestly say I liked the rest of it, with my early probable favorite being "happy".

Recording and production is very good. Joe has nice tone throughout the entire cd (used the strling eh?). There are a generous 17 tracks on the cd (16 plus a hidden track). While I definitely dig the CD, I get the impression the music is definitely highlighted live. If I ever make it to NYC, or the nerve makes it within an hour or two from here, I will definitely go check them out.

So far, I am definitely pleased with it, and it will be getting many more spins. More to come later.

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    thanks again for buying the cd tim, and thanks for the review. :)

i feel compelled to drop a few words about 1 more million times. i appreciate the fact the you don't like it, it in fact makes me smile for some. the people that seem to like that, seem to not go for the rest of the cd, and vice versa. we wanted it to be our "more than words" ala extreme, and while i know the vocals and music are no match for that, i think we've achieved the basic desired result.

i was a little reluctant to include that song but the guys talked me into it - and here's what my reluctance came from. i initially wanted our producer to play all the instruments, come up with some orchestral thing ala "beth" from kiss, and then have me come into the studio and sing it. in order for him to be able to arrange and compose it i took out my fretless acoustic, and quickly played and sang it into a recorder here at my place, then emailed it to him. it took all of 5 minutes and one take. a month later both he and my guitarist convinced me to use that exact recording and just built around it. for a bass player it was a chunk to swallow. when i recorded it i didn't give a single thought to being in tune, to creating anything "nice", to constructing any musical basslines. i just played and sang it in it's most 'bass'ic simple form. there was also no pitch correction to be done on my vocal track, or resinging any lines that i may have done better. what it was when i initially did it, is what went down. they both liked how natural it sounded. "real" as they put it. i swallowed my ego and trusted them.

oh well. hopefully that will at least make it a little more interesting for you, if nothing else. thanks again. feel free to follow up with any later impressions on the rest of the cd.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    This may seem a little sycophantic, but i really cant take this CD off my headphones. It goes to Uni with me on my ipod, it gets played on the stereo whilst im cooking, it got played last night whilst i was gettin' the friction on...

This isnt what i'd normally listen to, but i like the meld of styles, the riff-o-rama, the country, the punk, the bluegrass. It all works really well. I like the guitar playing and I like the vocals. The drumming is strong and the bass works really well.

Well done Joe :)

4. What does it sound like? Like Motorhead crossed with the Meat Puppets with the guy from the Outfield singing, or what?

5. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    I just bought it and I'm waiting on it now. I can't wait, I've heard a few The Nerve songs before and I love it. I'm real exited about this.

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    You wont be disappointed, it is indeed good stuff.

7. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    In the week or two since this came, it hasn't left my cd player. I've been learning the bass parts for fun, I love it! I would have to say my current favorite is Happy, but then again, my favorite changes about every other day. Great work Joe!

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I forgot how much I said I'd pay you guys to say that stuff. Tell me and I'll get your checks in the mail.