1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The new "Nadine" mic?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by All Three, Nov 1, 2016.

1. All Three

All Three

Jun 19, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Dear TBers,
    Yes, another bass mic arrives! It is a cardioid condenser that mounts below the bridge. The claims are good feedback rejection and beautiful sound - especially the low end. The endorsers are mostly prominent roots/bluegrass players (who give glowing reports..)
    When I searched the forum I did see that Daniel Kimbro uses one in certain situations, but he did not elaborate on this particular mic.
    The design seems to be well considered, and the mounting system looks good to me.
    I may spring for one, it goes for $600 and there is a waiting list...
    Anybody else with GAS?

Here's a link to the site:
    Nadine

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    After listening to the demo, it does sound pretty nice, it has a simple well thought out mounting system. At around the same price, (actually less) I think the Troll Ribbon has a far

more detailed and warm sound. I'd certianly look at the Troll.

Ric

3. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    we use an ear trumpet (louise) for our one-mic (sorta) setup. i love the look and sound!

i am curious about this one....mics have been hit or miss for me.

anyone wanna give me $600 to try this out? i'll be your best friend :)

4. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    They make beautiful looking gear. I wish I could sell all of my mics and get one!

5. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Looks nice. I'm sure I will own one someday....

6. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    Oh no.... not another one.

Povl Carstensen and Ric Vice like this.
  7. threetone

threetone

Sep 27, 2011
    Europe
    Looks super nice

8. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    So Nathan, uh when your's arrives give us the low down....

Ric Vice likes this.
  9. Nathan Levine

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    Haha. Gonna skip this one.

Ric Vice likes this.
  10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    That's a great looking design. The mounting system especially impresses as a great way to put a mic on a bass, and the brass barrel attached to the front of the tailpiece is a good idea, since the body of the mic is always the awkward part of trying to mic a bass.

11. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The design is certianly very impressive. The mounting system for the mic and jack are very well thought out. Since it's a brand spankin' new product, all we have to go on is the sound clips, which

also sound like the bass sounds. Untimately, you have to play it on a gig, to see if it works for you. That's always the catch. So, points for design concept and audio samples. Time for someone to

do a field test.

Ric

12. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Personally, I think we're right on the cusp of someone developing a sonically incredible, highly feedback resistant DB microphone, that works on most basses.:)

The Ehrlund, DPA 4099, Troll, Remic and Ischell, are progressiveley moving us toward that design goal.:D The Ischell may already be it, but the Ehrlund and Remic

work better for me. One thing that seems apparent is that piezo pickups aren't the only game in town anymore.:smug: "Nadine, why do you do me like you do"

Ric

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    richhansen and rickwolff like this.
  13. rickwolff

rickwolff ..Gear & Tone Junkie.. My Ignorance is Bliss. Supporting Member

It is a beatiful design. Has almost an art deco vibe to it. Sound clips sound very nice too.

Spaldo and geoffbassist like this.
  14. Nathan Levine

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    Did you check out the other mics in the lineup? Looks a little Art Deco-y with a bit of a steampunk vibe for extra fashion points. I really dig the stereo mic.

Spaldo and rickwolff like this.
  15. rickwolff

Thanks for the heads-up Nathan. They really are gorgeous looking mics. If you're going for classy good looks you might want to run it through a Schertler amp with the wood case. I actually prefer last years models with the metal grill where you can see the speakers. They have gone to a foam cover on the new ones.

jam-400-1.jpg

16. I just discovered this mic today....it's actually one miking technique i wanted to try, although i could never work out how to separate the head from the body =^)

Think I'm gonna sign up on the waitlist.....

17. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    i emailed them telling them i volunteer to test one and write a review for them and here on talkbass.

they replied!

but...they are obviously inundated with requests for them. they did say if a b-stock or return came in, they'd let me know.

i won't hold my breath but it was nice to get a reply.

rickwolff likes this.
  18. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I remember stumbling across their mics before they were getting well known. Back when I was obsessed with doing single mic technique for my band. Now they are popping up everywhere. Last night I saw Elvis Costello, and he did a single mic thing for a bit in the show with the backup singers. They were using a Josephine. Pretty cool to see something like this go from a basement to the big stage.

Steve Boisen likes this.
  19. rickwolff

Well done! I hope they send you one and I'm looking forward to your review.

20. rickwolff

Have you seen their new model done in Reardon Metal?

21. rickwolff

Today's existential dilemma:

A. Order a Nadine and risk losing my wife (or my life), or

B. Not order a Nadine and risk losing my CGJ designation.

Solution: Christmas present ?

lrhbass likes this.