The "new normal"... online live!?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by joninjapan, Dec 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    Like many places around the world, here in Japan corona restrictions have certainly had an impact on live performances... so go with the flow...

Online live events have been growing here in Japan and we were invited to perform an online concert by a company who has worked with us to provide sound stage support previously, so we took it.

They had an online "ticket" system, so we just promoted via our "social media" contacts, and they did the rest. The stream was very good, according to our family members who watched.

The performance was in a large room (social distancing and all that) sound was direct to the board, the in room live volume was quite low, cameras everywhere, a very new kind of set-up for us, as we are used to very cramped bars. A few select audience members and staff, maybe a dozen people... masks, and distance separation et al.
    We did an almost 2hr set, and even made some money.
    I had my Canon Mini X with me, so I recorded it too, the in house mix and stream were different but we worked it!

Here is an excerpt.

bassbrad, dbase, McG and 13 others like this.
  2. Very cool, like the cajon.

Thanks for sharing.

joninjapan likes this.
  3. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Nice instrumentation all around, good sound and a very nice, laid back vibe. Congratulations on the gig and thanks for sharing it with us.

joninjapan likes this.
  4. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Rio
    Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Really enjoyed he vibe of that second tune. :thumbsup:

joninjapan likes this.
  5. Highroler79

Highroler79

Apr 24, 2013
    I would not be surprised to see a lot of people going this route for the next little while, I am just finishing setting up everything for my band to do live streams. It has been a lot of work and a big learning experience, but I am super excited to get them started.

joninjapan likes this.
  6. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Very creative and it allows some of us to keep working but it's a sad substitute for LIVE music.
    In less than 24 days it will have been 1 year since I have played a show, and I was a fairly in demand bassist in my area.
    Even more annoying are all the clubs closing. It feels like we're living in the....I better not say it, I wouldn't want to be banned.
    I like Talkbass but don't have much interest in it anymore.
    No gigs, no instrument to buy or sale, no funny gig stories and no repairs to get answers for, etc.

s0c9 likes this.
  7. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Glad somebody's playing on the planet ;)

joninjapan likes this.
  8. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    I hope my last message was not too negative. I'm just mostly frustrated.
    Performing, the camaraderie of the band and that extra $400 to $600 a month for a guy on a fixed income was a blessing.
    Mostly, performing and entertaining people was a form of meditation for me. Now our Governor has us on lock down from 10pm to 5 am.
    Apparently Covid sleeps during the day then comes out in force at 10pm?
    Now we are not even rehearsing. We kept getting on club schedules for playing but the quarantine has never lifted and we never played.
    I'm not asking for any psychoanalysis or pat on the back. I ask, What keeps you woodshedding and being optimistic about playing?
    My son-in-law plays daily and writes. It's Good stuff. I'm 3 times his age but I still feel like I've been put out to pasture and they skipped hooking me up for stud services and instead sent me straight to pasture. I know nothing last forever except taxes and that one drunk guy in the back of the club yelling, "Freebird!"

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022