Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The old "You owe us a show" pickle

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ambolina, Oct 4, 2004.

1. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    So what do you guys think - are you always obligated to book a reciprical gig for bands that invite you to play with them? Does it make a difference if you are friends with the other band vs. if you don't know them at all and they just asked you to play?

Just curious how etiquette is around the country.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sounds fair to me - nothing's free in this world

3. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Well...original metal bands are scarce in these parts so....we may be added to a bill if this band allows it for Devils night. In return we're gonna have them open for us for a Thanksgiving gig at a bar we play at. I think it's only fair.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Quench, out of Charleston, SC, invited us to play in front of a packed house, so we're going to do a gig with them in Atlanta.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Are you saying that someone in this other band SAID something like 'You owe us a gig'?

Joe

6. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    Nope. I'll admit that I would HOPE bands we play with would at some point invite us along to one of their shows, assuming they liked us and felt we were a good fit.

Was just a general question. I've had conversations with some friends who get irritated if they see a band they've played with who has shows coming up and they haven't invited them to be on any of the bills.

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    It's good for bands to help each other out, regardless of friendship or whatever. This is the way to improve the music scene in your area. A good music scene in an area brings everyone up and is beneficial for all bands there.

So if a band helps you out by putting you on their playbill, you should reciprocate whenever possible. But if a band doesn't include you, you don't have to take it personally. There are plenty of reasons why a band can't include you on their playbill ranging from limitations of time and venue to a proper fit for the playbill.