1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Paralympic Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blonde Bassist, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Okay, so we had the Olympic thread, now we have the Paralympic thread.

Great Britain is currently sitting in second place in the medals table, and only one medal behind China, so bring on the rest of the games, we've gotta beat them and go into london on top.

Also, dominating again in the velodrome, massive kudos to our cycling team, just hope we can keep it up for another four years. We also now have the youngest Paralympic gold medalist, at 13 years old.

Hopefully we can keep up the medal winnings, we'll see if we can stay ahead of USA:bag:

2. wha...?

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    [REMOVED PIC]

I personally edited it because I didn't realize what we were talking about. Carry on folks.

4. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    im sure im not the only one wanting to know where you get your collection of amazing fail pictures

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    What's up here? It's physically challenged people, performing athletic feats that I couldn't do with a frickin' gun to my head.

Show some respect. :scowl:

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    +1

Pretty lame responses here.

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    OMG. It is? Oh, I didn't know that. I feel like a jerk. I thought it was some sub competition. I'll remove that fail picture.

This guy pretty much sums up how I feel.

I owe everyone beers for my foul. :(

8. I think the American TV networks have had a massive FAIL with this. I don't understand why America hasn't caught the boat with the Paralympics, the opening ceremony was just as spectacular as the Olympics, and the athletes are amazing. Remember how they lit the flame the first time round? Well this time, they did with a wheel chair athlete (a High Jumper who only has one leg) who pulled himself (and his chair) the hight of the stadium, up to the cauldron to light it, none of this flying round the stadium stuff, just lifted himself from the ground to the torch completely on his own.

There's some seriously inspirational athletes out there, Just as much as Usain Bolt, Micheal Phelps, Rebecca Adlington and Chris Hoy. There hasn' been enough coverage here for my liking, some of the wheelchair basketball has been on, which is pretty intense, can't wait to see the wheelchair rugby, it's insane.

*edit*
    just for those of you who are unaware of the paralympics, here is the official Beijing website http://en.paralympic.beijing2008.cn/index.shtml

I've done some hunting around for the American audience, here is a website that should have some coverage for you guys, I was going to give you the BBC site, but seeing as though we're wooping your asses in the medals table at the moment I thought you might like to see the american sight instead of the British one:hyper:
    http://www.universalsports.com//SportArchives.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13327

Enjoy:bassist:

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yeah, we're too busy with cheap ripoffs of Japanese TV game shows and "Big Brother". :rollno:

PS... one of my favorite shows ever is on BBC, thanks to my Dish Network subscription... "Top Gear". Ostensibly an auto show, it's one of the most beautifully filmed and produced things on the tube. Also one of the funniest.

10. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    To be fair I'd rather be watching that show than the Paralympics (or Olympics for that matter) any day. Don't you love it when they try to jump to the next obstacle and SLAM! A new FAIL! picture every clip.

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    It's funnier in Japan. The pace is about four times faster, and the host looks as though he's about to have an aneurysm.