Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The "Perfect Pitch" Guy..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SoyBase, Dec 6, 2004.

1. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Anyone notice that the picture of the perfect pitch guy hasn't changed since the 80's, big white reeboks, mullet and all?

I wonder if they're still offering that program on beta-max?

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm just frightened by his jaw....

3. I still have the 80's mags with him with his strat and pumping his 'yeah!' fist...

There's another, more mellow one with a guy and a tuning fork.

Even Doug "Metal Method" Marks updated his ad...

4. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    YES! Thats what I'm talking about!

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey...why change something if it's already perfect? :smug:

brad cook

6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I've been seeing this new ad and it's an updated version of the old one but I swear its the same guy with different hair. He has this dorking looking haircut that could probably work for the next 20 years at least.

7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Is he even still alive?

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    He's got great teeth.

I think that perfect pitch thing is a crock. Sure, you can learn a good sense of relative pitch, but perfect pitch? Bah.

9. The guy sitting at a piano with that same "yeah!" fist-pumping? He looks strangely similar to the guitar dude, indeed. Cheeeeeeeeesy!

I think it's possible.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I don't. It's kind of like penis pumps. If the actually worked, every body would be talking about how great they are. But yet, you can't find anybody who will admit to actually trying one. Because they don't work. If this perfect pitch thing was possible, then why isn't everybody jumping on it? I would love to have perfect pitch, as I play fretless 90% of the time. But other than the ads I hear nothing about it. So, bah! I say! Bah!

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Do a search here. I don't know if it's perfect pitch but there appears to be some merit to the program based on the comments of some people here who've tried it. At least I think it was here where we had some discussions of it.

brad cook

12. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The guy could still use a couple of pounds. However, losing the mullet was a great idea.

As with any product, there are probably some who could benefit from it, and some not willing to put in what would be needed to benefit from it. Stuff like that tends to require hardcore students.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The difference between perfect pitch and penis enlargement(which by the way you otherwise make a very good point) is that 'perfect' pitch *is* acquirable but it takes *a lot* of hard work and dedication, whereas penis enlargement and other such scams are pushed through lies of "just 2 weeks and already 3 inches OMGWTF?!?!" whereas the perfect pitch stuff, sure they market it as an easy efficient way to do things, but they aren't claiming any miracle here. whether their method is optimum is debatable, everyone learns differently, Scott for instance is partially color blind, so their method of color-pitch association wouldn't be too helpful for him, but maybe burrito-pitch association would.

Ultimately, what you can acquire is 'perfect' pitch, but it's unlike traditional perfect pitch, but functionally it's the same or better, and that's what is important imo.

Here's a pithy example, but stay with me a second. I can sing low F , consistently 100% in tune, I didn't used to be able to do that, somewhere along the line it stuck in my memory, and now I can use it as a launching point to hear other notes. My relative pitch is good enough that I can, when I concentrate, spout off like I have perfect pitch. Now, what's to say that 10 years from now, I won't start remembering F, AND G and C and C# and D and E, eventually, I may not have 100% solid recognition of every note, but, the possibility is still there.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Now that begs the question - Is perfect penis attainable?

brad cook

EDIT: Waits for inevitable response of "I can say from experience that it is."

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    indeed, but I think the difference there lies in one being a set physical trait based largely on genetics and the other being in the more malleable mental realm of memory.

That said, I can hit a low F with my penis.... starting from the neck pickup. :bag:

16. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Certain things are inevitable in a musician's life... seeing the Perfect Pitch Guy in almost every single musician's magazine throughout the course of one's lifespan is one of them.

17. I have decent relative pitch.

My toilet flushes in F# minor. ;)

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'm gonna try the perfect pitch thing out of curiosity... my truck idles in Ab

19. I fart in low B.

20. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    That guy David Lucas Burge lives here on the north shore. We're talking fancy, fancy, fancy house with a big piano. I don't know if the program works, but the guy is a bajillionaire. He's the dude with the beard in the ad's - he gave us his cat "Fluffy" and it ran away a couple weeks later. He was bummed. True story...