1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Radio Shack mic rebooted

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by sevenyearsdown, Feb 14, 2020 at 5:29 PM.

1. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I was a user of the famous "radio-shack" mic years ago when I played mostly low volume gigs. It worked great on my old Shen. A new bass, and mostly loud gigs for a handful of years forced me back into piezos only. These days I seem to be playing every kind of gig under the sun, so I decided to revisit the setup.

My old "radio-shack" mic had bitten the dust, so I took to ebay to find a replacement. I found one for 12 bucks and ordered it. What's to lose on 12 bucks and free shipping? I have a drawer full of much more expensive mics!

At some point Audio Technica must have started making these things for Radio Shack, because what I received was an ATR3350 in a RS box. Modified the 1/8" male (with super long chord) to a 1/4" female jack, mounted it all up, and tested it out.

It works fine straight into the amp. Nothing earth shattering, but better than a piezo with outstanding feedback rejection. Just like all of the old reviews of the RS mic. I'll be using this for my lower volume gigs. I'm sure it wont work well for my rock club or festival gigs.

Here are a few pictures. Ask me anything!

Oh BTW, I still have my piezo mounted and ready to for action.

IMG_20200214_125337_919.jpg IMG_20200214_125337_907.jpg 20200214_123228.jpg IMG_20200214_125337_905.jpg

2. Mandobassman

Mandobassman

May 16, 2012
    I used the Radio Shack mic for about 7 years. Never disappointed with it. No feedback and it always sounded like my bass. A few months ago mine bit the dust as well. I had a back up that I bought at the time I bought the first one. Somehow I managed to mess that one up when I was installing it. I decided to look for another option. After much research, I bought this Movo lavalier condenser mic from Amazon for about $30. It uses phantom power but I like that I don’t have to mess with batteries. It sounds awesome. More full and powerful than the RS. It seems a bit more sensitive to feedback than the RS but I was still able to play with the amp right behind me with no problems. I’ve only played one gig with it so far, so time will tell. I have a gig this coming a Tuesday. I’ll let you know how it goes.

093A5488-B214-469F-A3AB-D846553D629A.jpeg 1EBD223A-3228-4FBD-AD4D-E0E7F2DE028E.jpeg

3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Microphone placement is a big part of success in using an omni lavaliere mic. I clipped my AT803 to a handy unused line for a piezo pickup. Nice tone for a low volume scenario but subject to side-bleed.

AT803 wide shot below afterstrings.JPG

4. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    I've got one of the old Radio Shack Realistic lapel mics sitting around somewhere, I've bumped into it occasionally and resisted tossing it out by "just in case". I guess these were one of the early micro condenser mics. Never thought of using it on my DB.

How do they sound? Do they need a pre or impedance transformation?

5. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    No preamp needed. They work fine straight in to a head. EQ to taste.

Now they sound good, not as good as ribbons or anything else you might use in recording. The advantage is feedback rejection, and ditching the horribleness of piezo. Certainly not a magic bullet, but a nice option for little money.