The rarest Ibanez Musician MC???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanAdams, Nov 19, 2015.

1. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    I've only see evidence of one other bass like this with the curved fretboard end. It's a 1981 model and unfortunately a previous owner made the pickup holes bigger to accommodate EMGs.
    Does anyone know the model number? The only other I've seen is this mutated hybrid fretless
    Any Ibanez Musician Bass users out there!!

Attached Files:

2. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Given the other modifications to the bass and the complete lack of dots on the fingerboard (that we can see), I would hazard a guess that this is one of the hybrid fretted/fretless models that has had some extra frets installed.

I believe there were actually two versions of the hybrid made, but the model numbers escape me at the moment.

-Alex

Edit: Yes, when you zoom in on the pic, you can clearly see two inlaid dots on the fingerboard around the last fret. Ibanez placed small dots on the fingerboard of the fretless models underneath the G string.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    DanAdams likes this.
  3. Could be a Alphonso Johnson model? Here is a pic of my '79 but it's a closet queen I no longer play it.

Attached Files:

Abner likes this.
  4. DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    It does have inlayed ovals, just none past the 12th fret. The frets all match, there is no reason to think that it was half fretless at any point.
    serial number G815523 I never really paid attention to those little dots before... very interesting.

Attached Files:

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The Alphonso Johnson is the only model I've ever seen with either oval inlays or the curved fretboard end. The fact that there are no inlays past the 12th fret seems like a pretty good reason to think it was the half-fretless Alphonso Johnson model. Another quick confirmation would be checking whether there are (or were) side dots under the fret positions past the 12th fret:

AJ.jpg

sean lumsden, DanAdams and Abner like this.
  6. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Yes there is, see my edit above; you can make out the double-dot inlay on either side of the 24th fret under the G string. (And I bet you will find the side markers are in between the frets up the 12th fret, and then on the fret from there to the 21st. Just like mikezimmerman said above.)

Alphonso Johnson model. That's it. But, if I'm not mistaken, there were two models; this one and a "regular" version with more conventional Musician parts.

DanAdams likes this.
  7. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    This is a regular 924, no? Looks very nice, and a shame to be relegated to the closet. Any problems with it?

-Alex

8. DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    There are side markers between the frets all the way up but you're right, they are slightly different starting at the 12th fret and the tang is visible from that point up.

Wow, someone did a marvelous job cutting and adding the extra frets if that is indeed what was done. I wish the same care had gone into selecting replacement pickups... Or better yet I wish they were never replaced.

It seems like it would have been hell to play up there on the fretless area considering how far the strings would have been off the fretboard, and how much tension you have to overcome at the 13th fret mark.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  9. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Ah, new side dots, too. That makes sense. But you can see at least two of the original side dots clearly in your last photo. But also noticeable is the clear poly finish is missing around the new dots and the fret ends, like you mentioned.

Yeah, shame about the pickups, but the routing only seems a little wider than normal. But good luck trying to find an original pair of Super-4 pickups. :(

Still, adding those extra frets at least made it a usable instrument. (Unless you're one of those "there is no money above the 12th fret" kinda guys. :laugh:)

10. DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    I'm glad it has all the frets. anyhow the low notes of a fretless are important too. I didn't realize there had ever been factory made half fretless basses, it seems really stupid. perhaps if the fretboard became taller by the height of one fret at that 12th fret mark one would at least be playable... but whatever. It was <$300 on eBay and if I set it up a bit better it will play great. I could resell the EMGs and preamp to get a more natural sound at some point.
    I guess I'm just not an EMG fan. Maybe some day I'll find some good big soapbar pickups to stick in there. I have access to a shop so I could make clean holes at least.
    For now I'll just call the mystery solved, and go back to playing my preferred musician and studio basses, and make this a future rainy day project.

11. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Found some info on the pickups that may have been in the original AJ10:

Any Ibanez Musician Bass users out there!!

So I'm thinking if it originally had these pickups in it, it is an AJ10. If had the regular Musician Super-4, it is an MC924H. Pure speculation on my part about the distinction, though. ;)

12. DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    Mine is janked up enough so I'm not concerned about getting the original pickups. This will never be a collectors bass.
    There is a broken G&L l2000 tribute locally. I'm thinking would make for a very cool hybrid If I used it's entire pickups and electronics circuit. I really want to get rid of the EMGs.
    The main problem would still be the two extra holes! these darn active musicians have 8 holes for knobs and switches!

I've got a Studio that I think has those pickups you mention, but I would never to anything to harm that bass. It sounds better than any other bass I have ever heard.

mpdd likes this.
  13. spectroscopia

spectroscopia

Sep 20, 2016
    This is the bass that I owned few years back. I would buy it back anytime. Can anybody give me the contact of the person who has this bass? Thanks

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021