Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Real Book 6th Edition?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Farin, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Ok, So I own one of the original real books (the 5th edition) but I just picked up the (6th edition). Its great for $25, but it is missing some tunes. Whats your guys' thoughs on the 6th ed. real book.

Also, does anyone know where to get ahold of the 8 Fake books on CD? Its the one with the Real Books, Colerado Fake Book, Latin Real Books, and ect. I have heard people raving about it online, but I havent been able to find it. Someone let me know if you know where to get it. Little shady tho... sorry.

2. The 6th ed. is published by Hal Leonard, and I think the adding/dropping of various tunage† might just be a copyright thing.

There used to be a web-site in Germany with RB-I, II, III and LTD in .pdf format, but the last time I checked it, there was a note apologizing for the fact that the owner had been asked to remove the pages (sounds like HL's lawyers found it…) :meh:

Well, there is some new tunage in the 6th ed. (can't think at the moment, and too lazy to go and look…)

Hope this helps -

- Wil

† e.g. Fables of Faubus, Goodbye Pork Pie Hat

3. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Yeh, I mean I pretty much knew that the book didnt contain everything from the 5th edition, but for $25 you cant hardly beat it. Looks nice too. Im just interested if anyone else is actully using it. The one thing that I did find weird is that Autumn Leaves is still in the wrong key, well maybe not wrong, but its not the same as the recording, (or the New Real Book for that matter). Cant beat it tho.

Heh, by the way, isnt it funny how everytime I bring up the 6th Real Book around Bass players, we all say, "Man, why couldnt they get Pork Pie Hat in there..." Must be a Bass Players Favorite. Ever hear Marcus Millers cut of it? Its a Must hear.

4. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Indiana
    I'm just getting into playing jazz (after a long time just listening!) so I don't have any of the old real books, but this one has been great for me, I've learned a lot.
    And it is great at $25, but it's even better from Amazon at $16.50 :)

Tom

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Which recording - I've heard dozens of versions of Autumn Leaves and there isn't really one definitive version...:meh:

Unless you count the film soundtrack on which it first appeared I suppose...?

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I've found that the standard keys for tunes can be regional.

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I often play tunes in the region of a key....

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  9. So which region plays Green Dolphin in C and which in Eb?

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Toledo/Detroit: C
    Cleveland: C or Eb
    New York: Eb

Any relationship with the keybard? One might wonder. WOuld that put the UK around G?

11. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Heh. And what about the West Cost? Key of A or Ab maybe?

12. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    The West Coast would have to be a guitar key, wouldn't it?

13. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    hum. you have a point.

14. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    the montreal fake book uses the original key

for that , i forgive all indiscretions ;)

15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    If it's in Eb, you're probably in Altosaxistbandleaderland.

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd be happy to play a tune in any key discerable to man.

17. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The same mankind that bought a billion Britney Spears records and keeps Velveeta on the market? i won't even mention Kenny G -- those who dig this are the hipper segment...

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So - going on the discussion above - wouldn't it be logical to see the original key as the Greenwich Meridien, which goes through London and Sussex (where I live) and time)key) is all taken relative to that point!!??

19. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The English will never change. That's what makes them so cute, I guess :)

20. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Maybe that blue paint was lead based?