Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Rig-Saver

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    There are so many effects that just make the bass sound outlandish or odd, like distortion or tremolo, or wah. Then there are effects which we pass off as completely normal, like compression and equalization. What about effects that lie somewhere in between? Those effects that change the sound of the bass completely, but do something passive or not easily noticable (but definatly noticable) that really save the rig. Anyone know what I'm talking about, the rig-savers?

Note: Mods, if this is just completely incoherent jibba-jabba, delete or close this thread.

2. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Yeah, I'm a little confused... :smug:
    What do you consider to be your rig saver? I'm interested.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, what do you mean? Like, protection circuitry or something?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, the sansamp BDDI can really change the character of an amp and/or bass. That would be one effect along these lines.

5. I used to have a DOD FX10 MosFet Preamp pedal that was likethat. I used to leave it on all the time because it just made everything sound...better.

Nowadays my Squeeze Box does the same, with a hint of compression too. But if you find a FX10, they're still pretty cheap, get it!

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Exactly! That's what I mean!

What are some good "rig-savers"?

7. You might want to check out the Aphex Aural Exciter pedals, they're enhancers/compressors combos. I've read much good about them but never tried them myself...

Also, other preamp-style stompers might be cool like the Dod FX10. Keep lookout and maybe post suggestions here for more info?

8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    A touch of Overdrive to turn that modern hi-fi rig into an old school machine.

9. I use a chorus pedal with a fairly shallow depth and slow rate. It just adds a touch of color and nuance. Sometimes I'll just leave it on throughout a few songs...and sometimes for entire sets. I like what it does.

btw, Duff McKagen (guns-n-roses/velvet revolver) used a chorus throughout the entire Appetite for Destruction album, and had one of the most distinctive bass tones of the 80's/90's. It was just a subtle tweak that set his tone in a different ballpark than most everybody else.

10. Well, maybe not everybody else. Many bass players in the goth/new wave scene used that type of sound in the 80s. Peter hook of Joy Divison/New Order most notably.

Chorus may be nice, but sometimes might make the sound a bit "thin".

Another thing to try out may be some kind of boost pedal like MXR Microamp, BJF Baby Pink, BJF Red Rooster Booster or other. There should be quoite a few to check out. Just leave it on a slight boost to fatten up the sound.

11. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I think chorus, reverb and overdrive are all great when used properly and not too the extrme. But that's just me :eyebrow:

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Any effect is great if the user knows what they're doing. Distortion, delay, flange, chorus, tremolo, wah, all have their places in a GOOD bassist's arsenal. People who just plug in a bunch of **** because they think it's gonna make them sound better is where many anti-effect sentiment comes from. Hardly anyone goes "straight in" anymore. There's just too much cool stuff out there to mess with.

But a SansAmp BDDI or RBI are great additions that you can leave on that will make your sound much better overall. I just used mine as a pedal, however, since my Mesa kicks enough ass on it's own.

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I use my dirtbox for everything.

It is mainly a distortion box with 7 effects loops but you can have two dirty channels and 2 clean channels or a mute channel or 3 clean channels and a dirty channel. Or as I have recently found I can plug two or more basses into different loops so I don't have to unplug any cables when I switch basses.

There's loads of combinations it just makes for a good centre piece in my pedal board kinda controlling everything and usful in any situation whether it be heavy rock or joseph and the technicolor dreamcoat (Yes thats right you see a gig report in november :bawl: )

I also concider my planetwave cables and my small tool kit a rig-saver

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

EXACTAMUNDO!

I wouldn't even say "changes the character" (depending on how you interpret that). If you think it "changes the sound", that's not it. It just puts muscle in your sound by simulating the harmonics of an all tube amp, (i.e., soft clipping).

When I first opened the box and tried my Bass Driver out, I thought, "I'm going to send this back for a refund. It doesn't really affect my sound."

Then I tried playing without it and the difference was day and night. I won't leave home without it.

15. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Snarling Dogs VeryTone Dog is a great leave on all the time preset eq.

Actually, I think any eq pedal could go in this category as long as you're not using radical settings. For years I used a TE SM7 eq just set to pre-shape 1 w/out engaging the graphic eq part at all (well, sometimes to boost a solo).

All of the enhancer/exciters could go in this category too -- Aphex, BBE, etc. I prefer BBE.

Same thing goes for most preamp pedals.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Does anyone know WHICH chorus Duff used?

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    No, but I can get pretty damn close with my '88 Charvel, a pick, and my Boss Bass Chorus.

18. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    +1

Also compressors save my life in terms of effects. Without them my sound would become unrecognisable mush because
    of peaks and drops in volumes that using various effects creates.

19. Yamaha NE-1

that little 50 dollar box adds more lows to any rig...that thing is a miracle box...made my old SWR workingman15 sound like an Ampeg SVT

can't wait to get one of my own!

20. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    That's not much use to me, as I have an SVT :smug: .

Edit: Also, I checked out the soundclips of the SansAmp BDDI, I really didn't like it. But that's the type of effect that I am asking about in this thread.