1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The right beginer stand up bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by KLEIN, Apr 9, 2009.

1. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    Endorsing: Schecter Basses
    I have been playing the electric bass for 17+ years, and am looking for a good beginer bass. Do I really have to pay 1000 plus dollars for one?

2. lots of people have asked (including me) and it seems like if you buy a Bass < 1000 that you will end up spending a TON of money getting it setup for it to be playable. Most people say get an old Kay, an Englehardt, or an Upton.

3. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Klein, there are a handful of new models that tend to run around 1500 shmooks that most folks here give the OK on, and you can find them in the newbie links.

The other option is to mount a Fuqua Offensive, by letting every friend, relative, co-worker and their sister know that you are looking for a bass, and you may luck out when someone remembers Grand Dad's old bass and lets it go cheap.

The new basses under a thousand aren't really basses.

4. mesmithnm

mesmithnm

Dec 10, 2005
    Layton, UT
    One of the few options you have under a thousand that will get you a playable bass is to go with a quality used Chinese laminate - here's an example

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531880

As you see, the price was right and it didn't last long - and this is one of those $1500 basses purchased new. So be patient and do your research now so you'll know which one of these deals is a good one when one shows up.

Good luck,

Mark

5. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    Fuqua Offensive? Does he still do that? I thought it was now referred to as 'Fuqua Surge'?

6. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I got really lucky, or so I've been told. I picked up a used Shen SB80 with a Fishman full circle PUP, 2 bows, and a bag for $600 from a private seller of craigslist.

I haven't seen anything reputable go that cheap though since. Be patient if you are gonna buy used, and do tons of research.

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    3022?

8. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    Endorsing: Schecter Basses
    I know the electric bassists and the stand up bassist come from two different worlds. My question is; if I buy a $2500 proffesional bass, would that be an insult to the stand up bassists? Like "who does this guy think he is?" kind of thing. I dont want to seem too arogant.

9. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008

You get what you want to get and don't worry about what anyone thinks. It's your money. Enjoy!!

10. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I don't think anyone will scoff at you for buying a $2500 dollar bass. I think most people would categorize a bass that sold for $2500 new as a beginner instrument.

11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Nope.

12. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Hi KLEIN:

Take a look at the newbie links. They contain a wealth of information. Then c'mon back with questions. If you are buying a new bass, then the minimum you will need to spend for a quality instrument with a good setup (very important!) is around $1500. There's no way around it. You'll end up spending that one way or another. Stay away from guitar stores and on-line musical mass merchants. Buy a bass from a real bass shop.

I believe that a player should get the best instrument he/she can afford (within reason). If you have the $2500, then get the best bass you can for that money. You will reap the rewards in many ways.

I'll say it before someone else does. Get a teacher. EB and DB are related but different instruments. A good teacher will start you off with good technique and help you to avoid injury. Happy shopping and welcome!

13. I'd recommend Craiglist if you want <1000. Otherwise, the cheapest one that's still decent would be a Sam Shen SB80. If you wanna look at a picture go to http://bassviolinshop.com/basses.html and go to the very bottom of the page. Very decent price.

14. Lets put it this way: my bass is a bit above the line for a professional bass, and it's worth about fifteen thousand. So it's good that the beginnings of acceptable are around about a tenth of that; $1500 is actually a great deal already.

15. Hey Klein,

Which Westminster are you from? If it's in Europe, I can't help you. But if it's in Maryland, I can let you play a couple of basses in the 1000-2000 price range to see what you might expect.

Be a little more specific in your profile and somebody might be able to steer you toward a good bass shop or a particiular bass close to you.

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    :p

17. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    As I always say, if you are worried about money you are better off with an EUB. You can get a much better instrument in the lower price ranges and they are useful to have around when you get a real bass.

18. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
  19. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
  20. 400$Bass

400$Bass

Jan 18, 2009