Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Shop Tools Thread...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bassic83, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Just got back from a tool sale, returned with some desperately needed gear, at decent prices. Finally got a table saw, and it has a very high ABF rating, as it folds and has wheels, allowing it to be stored in a very small space in the garage (my shop). For those of you who have a spouse or significant other, ABF rating is very important- it stands for Anti-Bitch Factor. Ability to be stored, or "put away" garners high ratings. Some things are low ABF-rated, like 16" band saws, or large drill presses- no matter how you work it into your space, or what you cover it with, your S.O. will still know it's a drill press. It interferes with the storage capabilities of the space you're in. Also, anything that creates dust is automatically low ABF. Many females do not understand that dust must be created in order to satisfy our blood-lust for creating basses. Heck, some don't even understand that basses are built, not born, or grown on a tree somewhere... ;) The highest ABF rated tool in any shop is the shop-vac! :D

Anyway, I also scored a digital caliper, a few multi-packs of sandpaper, and a bench vise. This all goes with my 9" band saw, my scroll saw, my Dremel, my angle grinder, my 3x21 belt sander, my 1/4 sheet sander, my clamping table, and various hand tools. I still need a drill press. Oh, well, my buddy has a good one I can use. He picked up a thickness planer- :hyper: -I think I'll petition for adoption!!! I also have to fit this all into a one-car garage at my apartment...

So what do the rest of you get by with?

2. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    LOL!

14" bandsaw + riser
    6"X99" edge beltsander
    4"X36" disc/beltsander
    16"/32" thickness sander
    13" floor model drillpress
    6" benchtop jointer
    benchtop spindle sander
    1HP dust collector(not in pics)
    router table with dedicated 3.5HP router
    2.25HP combo base router
    1.5HP 2gal. compressor
    good cordless drill

various hand tools:
    hand planes
    instrument makers planes
    chisels & gouges
    too much too list...

numerous jigs...

In have a two room dedicated workshop right in my house.

Machine Room

Machine Room

Machine Room

Machine Room

Workbench Room

Workbench Room

Workbench Room

Workbench Room

I've since moved my bench by 90 degrees which gives me alot more room.

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Sweet! I need to clean my shop up and rearrange things before I start posting my pics...but please, everyone else, post em if ya got em! :D

I love the inside the house thing, but I'm afraid I won't have that luxury. I'll still have to do the garage/shop/storage place thing even when I get my house. S.O.'s orders. If I could find the "bitch-switch" and disable it, maybe! :eek: :D

4. Mark Chandler

Mark Chandler

Aug 25, 2004
    Houston TX
    here is an easy way to get a drill press, or any large tool. first off, know a fellow bass player and convince him that he needs to build a bass. tell him you dont have a certain tool and see if he knows someone that has it and hopefully they live at least 45 minutes away. after convincing your friend that he will need this tool fairly soon and also a few more times in the future, pick up the tool and bring it back to your shop so the 45 minute drive does not have to be made multiple times. tuck it away nicely as your friend moves away from houston to austin and wham, new drill press :)

even if it is a king feng fu...haha.

i have:

a jet tablesaw
    dewalt planer
    delta floor standing jointer
    king feng fu drill press :)
    POS black and deck-her router
    bosch jigsaw
    porter cable random orbital sander
    porter cable cordless drill
    craptastic oscillating spindle sander

stanley spokeshave
    new skool stanley block plane
    i just trued up my grandfathers old skool craftsman smoothing plane

rasps/files
    just flipped the stew mac fret saw around, it still sucks. hah.
    japanese crosscut saw (should have got the ryoba)

couple of other misc... but thats all the good stuff

i need to upgrade my chisels and get a bandsaw and i will be happier.

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Hey, I'm in Houston too- what part of town you in? I need to use your drill press.... ;) :D

BTW- did your boss tell you you're moving to Austin yet? Better keep your drill press at my house for safekeeping. :eek:

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Waiting for Budman to post pics of his shop...

7. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    [​IMG]
    :p

8. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    If only they understood dust -- sawdust, that is. I love that smell, and i think there should be a sawdust scented air freshener or something.

As for what I get by with? Get ready to laugh... or maybe sympathize.
    • A Hitachi D10VH power handheld drill - Whisper quiet at full speed and drills through anything like it's nobody's business. I don't have a drill press, so I use this. However, I am eyeing a Delta 10" press. I just need something to drill neck, bridge, and pot holes. There is a 12" that I'm looking at. What's ideal that will fit on a countertop?
    • A Skil jigsaw - Sure it's Skil, but it'll have to do since I don't have a fancy-shmancy bandsaw. I just need something to do rough cuts. Again, what's a common size, or what is a suitable size, something that I can get by with?
    • Lots of sandpaper.
    • Lots of screwdrivers and other non-powered hand tools.
    Hey Budman, what size press(es) and bandsaw(s) do you use? Trying to get a good idea of what I should get.

So yeah, my arsenal is hardly something to flash around, but hey... I get by.

9. Mark Chandler

Mark Chandler

Aug 25, 2004
    Houston TX
    How can they not love the smell of padauk?

Bassic I am on the SW side, Hwy 6 and Bellaire. And no, you cannot borrow MY drill press. haha.

10. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I can't remember off the top of my head, but most of my stuff is of the smallish Home Depot variety except for the 15" Grizzly bandsaw. It all works and gets the job done. I love my Rigid ocsillating spindle sander with the interchangable drums and belt sander. Valuble tool.

11. axaneel

axaneel

May 9, 2009
    You are really cool. XD
    roughin it like the pioneers, if they had jig saws.

That would have been so cool... o_O

12. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've since upgraded. I now have two Bosch 1617EVS routers, Bosch 1590 jigsaw, and a 10" Delta drill press. Sure, it still isn't a professional set-up, but with the use of jigs and templates, I do pretty well, in my opinion.

Well enough to make stuff like this!

[​IMG][​IMG]

fraublugher likes this.
  13. teej - That is one beautiful bass!