Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The smallest baddest little amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by martybernal, Feb 21, 2006.

1. I am looking for a compact, light and most powerful bass amp combo package. I already have a Roland Cube 30, which I am completely pleased with . The little bastard rocks for it's size. I am interested in something with a single 12' or 15' though. I am trying to find an amp that's easy to haul and light weight. I can spend all night reading reviews and specs, I am looking for real life experience with an amp like this. I don't want to spend over $700 if I don't have to. I have a KBA 100 Kustom with a single 15' already. I have heard some good things about the Ibanez Soundwave line. I am getting tired of carrying around large heavy cabinets, my goal is too find a smaller amp system that can still rock the house with much less physical wear and tear on me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Marty B.

2. Fender Bassman 150?

150 watts into 40 something pounds.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think you're on the right track with Roland -- just step up to the Cube 100. I preferred it to the Bassman 150 in a head to head test. I recently posted a long review of the Roland, which should be easy to find with a search.

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I would recommend a B100R, but they are a tad on the heavy side, and you said you wanted something lightweight.

I'd still cart it around even if it weigh twice as much. the tone is worth it.

What kind of tone are you looking for?

5. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I have an Ashdown ABM500 C115 EVOII... it kicks ass...
    I love the sound of the Ampeg B100R.. but for tone and real small I like the Mesa Walkabout Combo... tone city

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I've heard the Mesa Walkabout Scout is the baddest little dude on the block. Never tried one though.

Skel

7. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    for its size...i think the mesa walkabout is great!.. i am not a boogie fan.. but i think it sounds sweet.. i wish i had about 4 of them to do gigs with...just stack em up

8. vooch311

vooch311

Aug 28, 2001
    Wilmington, NC
    one of those Phil Jones Bass briefcase or suitcase models look tight. supposed to sound good

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Eden CXC 110 It's basically a Traveler head (330 watts) with a 1-10" speaker. It only weighs 39 lbs. and it will handle the small gigs and add a 1 X 12 or 1 X10 extension cabinet and you can play most clubs with a rock band. You might be able to find one new for your limit, certanly a really clean used one.

10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The Briefcase doesn't have that much volume though. Sounds great, and is the ultimate amp for pit gigs with electric or upright, but the volume is a bit lacking, and the weight is hefty for the size.

Those Fender Bassman 150s look enticing, but I'm sure there are a million other things that are just about what you're looking for. Try the used market for more options, perhaps.

11. Check out the eden nemesis 115, small but great construction, 320w, great combo for the price.

12. I 2nd the Nemesis idea, powerfull and light with good tone (IMO) and they are on the cheap side of things too! I dunno about the Silver Series though.

13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Carvin has a new BRX112Neo combo with a single 12"
    800W, 47lbs, $600
    Not on the web yet, but in their latest catalog

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  15. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yeah,

at this price it's hard to beat!

Click.

:D

Joe.

16. 1+

That is an awesome price but from my own dealings... the older workingman's amps are better sounding and of course better made then the red face and post fender models which is like what is for sale on the post above.

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    A used Gallien-Krueger MB150.

I've seen 'em go for $250. They're great small room/pit amps. If you need them to really blossom, add an extension speaker.

18. +100

I am a big MESA fan, and the Walkabout is a LOUD 300 or something watts, partly because of the 'simul-state', or tube driven, power section. I'm not sure about weight, but I believe it's just as portable as any of these other combos. Another cool thing is that the head can be separated from the cab, opening up a lot of options.
    Only problem: price :-\ You said $700, and you're gonna be looking at $900+ for used ones, and about $1400 (I think...) new.
    Decisions Decisions...

Peace,
    Drake

19. +1
    excellent sound !!! it handles low B very well

20. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Cube 100
    Bassman 150
    SWR WM12