Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Sorcerer- changes

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by funkytoaster, Apr 30, 2004.

1. funkytoaster

funkytoaster

Mar 23, 2004
    logan, ut
    I have 2 recordings of this, one is the original hancock version, and the other is the miles and coltrane tribute "directions in music" version featuring brecker, hargrove, hancock and patitucci. The original version seems to keep a little connected to the changes in the head while i have little to no idea what is happenning in the directions in music version.

Does anyone have any idea what is holding these changes together? I am specifically interested in the solo section. If anyone could help me out, i would appreciate it. A lead sheet, an explaination ANYTHING would help. I have developed a sick obsession over this recently, and need guidance.

thanks

2. funkytoaster

funkytoaster

Mar 23, 2004
    logan, ut
    is there anyone who is familiar with this tune? I am interested in any kind of response to this, even if it is just "Piss Off".

Help from anyone?

3. This book contains a lead sheet to the tune. Plus a whole bunch of others.

4. funkytoaster

funkytoaster

Mar 23, 2004
    logan, ut
    thanks. I already have a lead sheet, i'm just trying to understand what the solo section entails. It is clearly very coordinated, and i think the only way i'll ever understand it is probably through some heavy duty transcription. Thanks for the reply.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, there is nothing that says that guys like this must stick slavishly to the changes - in fact, in my experience of going to Jazz gigs - the better the improvisors, the less they stick to written changes and the more they stretch out and go where the feeling takes them!

Of course the skill, lies in taking the audience with you, on this journey....;)

But it's taken for granted that they will be listening to each other and actively trying to take the music in new and fresh directions...?

6. funkytoaster

funkytoaster

Mar 23, 2004
    logan, ut
    That's not the first time the realbook has been wrong.

Now, just to find a group of guys ballsy enough to try and play it!

thanks for your help guys

7. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I would love to see your transcription. Actually I recall already seeing one on the Interet (Herbie's solo) somewhere not that long ago.

I play this song with my band along with many other Herbie and Miles' second quintet tunes. It's a great tune. As far as soloing goes, I find it similar to tunes like Shorter's Pinocchio or Herbie's One Finger Snap. The changes are unusual but it doesn't necessarily make them harder to blow on.

Have you heard the Miles' second quintet recording of this song?