The Squier Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GreatBlueYeti, Jun 7, 2004.

1. GreatBlueYeti

Jun 7, 2004
    Lol I had this posted in the amps section but... :D

Hey I have this Squier Precision Bass that I have had for three years. I've been practicing a lot with it in the past year. I've gotten good on it with practice and I really like it, but I'd like to do something to it and im not sure what... So I had a few questions-

If I took off the frets would it work well as a fretless(I've played one before and really liked it)? :confused:

There aren't any holes for extra pickups but I'd like to add Jazz bass pickup with a switch to change between the two. I'd like to know first of all if thats possible? How much you'd estimate it to cost and lastly is worth it?

Also the wood that is under the pickguard is stripped so I am not able I screw the end of the pickguard into the bass. I have taken the liberty and put some duct tape to hold it down but im not real sure if that'll be a problem or if there is a way to fix it? :p

Or should I just screw upgrading it and just get a new bass?

Thanks-The Yeti :bassist:
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think after getting it defretted and the new pickup/switch it would cost as much as the bass itself, if not more. I would suggest just buying a bass with the pickup configuration you want, and fretless, if you wish.
  3. squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    There have been TB users who defretted their basses on their own and lived to tell of it on TB. I forget which section it was in.. I think it was this section, Basses. Try doing a search for it... I distinctly remember reading extensive articles on how to defret basses and possible steps to take afterwards in order to keep using roundwound strings without messing up the finish on the fretboard. From what I've read, it's not a difficult process, but takes time and patience to get the frets out cleanly.

As for the pickup deal... I'm not sure about that. Maybe buy one of those ashtrays and put it over it? Or just get an Essex and not have to worry about all this. :) Good luck!
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its a stickied thread in Setup.
  5. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    sell it or trade it ! and get a better bass , other stuff not worth the time.. :eek: