Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The stingray dilema

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by luca, Nov 23, 2005.

1. luca

luca

Nov 22, 2005
    EU
    First of all, hello, this is my first post here :)
    I am using now a '93 stingray 5 (great bass!!!), ampeg svt3pro, ampeg 410 HLF, symetrix 501 compressor, and maybe sans amp bass driver DI.
    I have a question if you can help me:
    It is a good ideea to bypass the active electronics in my stingray? My ideea is that I use a tube preamp anyway to shape my sound, and I always keep the settings on the MM on "zero". I believe that the active electronics in my bass are adding dirt to the sound. What do you think?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I am not postive that you can, but even so, I would not. The preamp in a stringray was part of what creates the signature sound of that bass.

3. luca

luca

Nov 22, 2005
    EU
    thanks chasarms. I have a friend technician, he can do anything to the bass :)
    I use the preamp with all controls set to the point "0", so IMO this might sound like a bypass only worse.
    Somebody stop me!!!! :)))

4. cacio

cacio

Apr 24, 2005
    Italy
    If you bypass the electr. you have a very little output.
    If you want to do that you must change the pu.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    +1

6. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Unless your a complete tinkerer and want to experiment and don't mind going back and forth, I would leave what many consider perfection alone. Even if you run the controls flat the preamp provides buffering of the pickups from the instrument cable which impacts tone.

I personlly like active basses (Sadowsky, G&L, EMG J pups) although I seldom do much with the on board EQs other then set them flat. And its handy at a gig to be able to boost or cut standing 20' from the amp.

Dave