Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the stranglers, magazine?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jim primate, Apr 14, 2004.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

anyone here dig the stranglers or magazine? i heard their bassplayers were influences to one of mine, so i'm looking to check them out, and was wondering what are some good first buys.

2. Stranglers-
    the first three albums- Rattus Norvegicus, No more heroes, Black & white have pretty aggressive punk-era bass playing from JJ Burnel- a bit unrefined though,

The Raven is quite prog- not far from Yes in places.

Gospelaccordingtothemeninblack is experimental

La Folie has more aggressive playing, but less distorted than the early days.

all those albums have notable bass playing.

Magazine- I'd recommend the "Rays & hail" compilation.

3. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    the stranglers had the best bass sound ever!!! Dutchess and Skin Deep are a few of my favorites.

4. Before I really got to know The Stranglers' stuff, I used to think "Duchess" was by The Damned! :eek:

5. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    i can see that. Capt Sensible is amazing. They're another one of my favorite bands.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I used to be a huge Stranglers fan. I would recommend finding an older greatest hits compilation, they had one that came out in 1982 called "The Collection" that had songs from 1976-1982. JJ Burnell was one of my early influences, his aggressive style is nice and Jet Black's metronome-like drumming really gives it a lot of punch. Just try not to get too annoyed by Dave Greenfield's often annoying rambling overplayed keyboard style. Hugh Cornwell's guitar work is fantastic througout.

I read in a magazine that JJ Burnell played clasical guitar before turning to bass, that is evident in his playing.

I personally love the experimental "Meninblack", particularly the last song which has a beautiful repeated haunting melody from Greenfield as the playout on a lush musical background.

Oh, Burnell's got a great voice, too. Unfortunately underutilized by the band IMO.

7. ...as in "Walk On By", eh? ;) Gotta love it!:) I have an album similar to "The Collection", it's called "The U. A. Years", though. Can only recommend it!

8. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow
    the stranglers great band what can i say,Rattus norvegicus has some no frills stompin bass lines on it.JJ Burnell was an early influence on me i still love to play nice and sleazy for a warm up at sound checks.I saw him doing a clinic for ashdown at sound control in glasgow some five years ago .also saw him kick a bouncers ass at the glasgow barrowlands in 1986 after the bouncer roughly threw a stage invader back into the crowd ,after the beating he cooly picked up his steinberger and played on priceless :smug:

9. Five words:

GET
    A
    GRIP
    ON
    YOURSELF

:bassist:

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    "Tramp" from La Folie was always one of my favorite Stranglers songs. Fantastic bassline, always metronomic playing by Jet Black, great melody and performance by Hugh, and Dave's there too... :) Tramp's a fun one to play.... :bassist: