1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Tesla and other Electric vehicle thread.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by D M C, Sep 24, 2020.

1. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    I recommend pepperoncini as a dietary supplement.
    I pulled the trigger on a new model Y. I went for a test drive and fell in love with the design and unbelievable torque. It’ll take between 5 and 9 weeks for delivery, so right now is the best time of car ownership - the anticipation.

I know there are a lot of automotive enthusiasts here on TB but I haven seen too much posting about Tesla. Any Tesla owners out there and, if so, what are your thoughts/experiences? Dish!

Stewie26 and bholder like this.
  2. brokencode

brokencode Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Allen, TX
    Both of my kids have a Tesla. Both are White and have White interiors. So cool. One has the duel motor, OMG!!! Faster than any muscle car that I've had. I'm driving a paid off 2014 SUV with 120,000. I'm hoping it will last another 6 month, most likely getting a Tesla SUV. What color did you get? My older son lives about five minuets from where they are building the new Tesla plant in Austin.

D M C likes this.
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    We have a few threads and Tesla vehicles around here.

-Mike

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've had my model 3 LR RWD for 2+ years and 23,000 miles, and it's still the best car I've ever driven. Not having to pay for gas and being able to charge at home over night is just a dream. Also a stock holder, now looking to buy more during this current dip.

Ronzo and D M C like this.
  6. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I so wanted the new VW ID.4 to hit the magic 300 mile range target. It didn’t. That leaves the Model Y at the top of my list.

D M C likes this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    My parents live in a giant apartment tower and apparently Tesla will put charging stations in the garage if a few people get one, or something like that. My dad wants one. I hope it happens. I really wanna drive one.

OldDog52 likes this.
  8. I want one. But even used...I don't want to pay for one.

9. D M C

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    It’s white. You have to pay an extra $1000 for any other color. I did spring for a trailer hitch (also $1000) because I have a small day sailor. I’m still pondering the enhanced autopilot for an extra $4K.

10. D M C

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    You can schedule a test drive. It’s terrific fun to drive.

11. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I should add - not only is it the best car I've ever driven, it's better now than when I got it thanks to the Over The Air updates. Pretty amazing.

Ronzo, D M C, MJ5150 and 1 other person like this.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm curious what that process looks like.
    Our Ford Edge would receive updates to the nav now and then. We would get an email letting us know the update was ready and how to get it, which usually involved us taking it to a Ford dealer.
    How are you notified of an update to your Tesla?
    How big are the updates? As in does it tell you the file size?
    How long do they take?
    Can you drive the car while it is updating?
    You can answer as few or as many of those as you'd like.

-Mike

13. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I just went through the Model Y online configuration and it wants $8K for full autopilot. ?

14. I've had the opportunity to drive a few but I'm too analog for a digital car.

15. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I have trouble wrapping my head around driving a car with no proper driver display.

16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    When an update is available, I get an app notification on my phone, or in the car if it's parked in wifi access. I've never checked the file sizes, but some folks do, I'll have to go read up. The info's in there somewhere, I've seen it, I just haven't paid attention. The update takes about 25 minutes these days (used to be 45), and you can't use the car while it's updating.

MJ5150 likes this.
  17. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    It takes a few minutes to get used to, but all of the necessary info is on the left side of the touchscreen panel, right next to my right hand. No harder to get used to looking at than the busy cluttered "driver displays" used to be.

Nedmundo and OldDog52 like this.
  18. My wife has a 2015 "S" model as her daily driver. We also have a 2008 roadster as a collector-hobby car, with a low Vin number of the 466th car Tesla ever built. Unbelievably power and torque for both cars. My wife was so impressed with her S model back in 2015, she even bought some Tesla stock, even though she was advised against it. Who knew at the time, but it turned out the stock has appreciated enough to pay for both cars and then some.
    Teslas.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  19. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    My "little toe in the water" test investment in Tesla has appreciated enough to pay for half of the trimotor Cybertruck I have on order (with about a year left before it's built).

S-Bigbottom and Stewie26 like this.
  20. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Couldn’t do the price for a Tesla, so I recently got this instead.
    I might add, i bought this used as a returned lease vehicle, and I would never have paid the original sticker price for it. I’ve only had it for a few weeks, but really love driving it. It’s way nicer than the ‘06 Prius i had for awhile. (Or it may be more accurate to say i prefer the Euro drive character to the (bland) Japanese feel.)
    063DD680-3E18-4EE9-8FC2-A7B929737C9A.jpeg

OldDog52 and Stewie26 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020