Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the TRACE ELLIOT thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    EDIT: This thread has now been split due to it's size. Part 2 can be found here: the TRACE ELLIOT thread: Part II
    Thanks, Kelly Lee

Share you thoughts, pics, love, hate, etc...for Tace Elliot's fine british bass amplification:

I currently have a GP7sm AH250 preamp, which is amazing.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16202

I was skeptical of trace for awhile for some strange reason until about 2 years ago, when i got this head. It rocks. I've had the pleasure of using a few other Trace amps and was very impressed.

Lets see what the other Trace Elliot enthusiasts on TB have in your arsenals.

2. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    [​IMG]

3. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    It's a shame they had to go under, I wouldn't have minded playing one of their V8's...

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...on that note...how many TB'rs actually own a V-8?...

~S~

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    As everyone knows, I'm a Trace Elliot freak! :cool: The first time I really noticed Trace Elliot was back in 1990 when shopping for my first rig. When I tried a AH600SMX with a 1048 and a 1518. WOW! The tone and power just blew me away! The green logo's and cool UV setup added a little flash that I liked as well. I think that was my first case os GAS.

Unfortunately at the time there was no way I could afford a Trace rig. :crying: I ended up buying a Hartke 2000 which I very quickly traded in for the 3500.

Well, I took several years off from playing and sold my equipment off. When I picked up the bass again I didn't know what amp I was going to buy. During my search for a new amp I came across a RAH350SMX $450. Needless to say I bought it on the spot! I still have this head and love it. Its been rock solid reliable and has enough power for almost any situation.

Since then I have had sort of an obsession with Trace Elliot stuff. I have added a QuatraValve, 1524 2x15 cab , and a 1518 1x15 cab. I try to collect about anything thats TE! I collect .pdf manuals and schematics, pics, factory paper manuals, and even apparel! BTW, if anybody wants to get rid of or finds some paper manuals please let me know. I haven't been able to find much on the GP7 and GP11 series preamps/heads.

Other brands still interest me but I don't see myself changing to anything else in the foreseable future.

See, I told you I was a freak! :help: :p

6. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    thats awesome. Got any pics of your collection?

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've always loved Trace gear. Back when I lived in Omaha there was a pawn shop which had a music store attached to it. This music store was basically a new/used amp store with a handful of drum gear and a wall of beat up used guitars to make it not look like an amp store. Most of their stuff was TE and a little bit of Eden, back when Eden was first coming out. I didn't play bass back then but I'd go with my bass player friends and there was usually one or two of the seriously good local players in, trying to justify a gear purchase. Good times.

I used to have the GP12SMX preamp but sold it because the output wasn't great enough for my power amp. I wish I had kept it, it was a great studio pre. Now I've got my eyes out for a AH350SMX or AH600SMX, ideally the rack versions. I'd like to try the V4/6/8 but I've never seen one for a sane price.

I am pretty keen to try out the Ashdown Mark King head. Rumor has it that it's similar, but the company who makes it hasn't been assimilated by the Gibson Borg Collective.

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I use the V4, and it sounds so awesome! Now I just want to get a V6 or V8 and I will be content fot the rest of my life :D

9. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Does anyone have that Tony Levin trace video on thier HD? I can't find it anywhere and i can't remember why i watched it so much a couple years ago...

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm looking! You can count on that!

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I knew I could count on you my man! LOL!

cheers,
    ~S~

PS: From what I gather, there were less than about 75 EVER made! Now figure the distribution to artist over the world fathom how many could possibly still be!

Clip from Mel Gibson's "Mad Maxx" movie: "Hey Max, listen to her, listen to her man! It's the LAST OF THE V-8's!!!"...

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My initial experiences with TE gear back in the late 80's, and early 90's were very positive, but I was on more of a "Peavey budget" back then, so I never did get the chance to play a "green rig." About the time that I put together enough scratch to get something nice, TE started to drop off the face of the planet, and I couldn't find their gear in stores. Plus, other brands called, and I went in another direction. Okay, many other directions! ;) But, I have always respected TE gear, and I try to keep an eye out.

Enter Steve Azola...

Steve hits me square between the eyes with his Bassgear.com ad, and shortly thereafter, I have one of these in the "collection":

[​IMG]

Those of you in the know might notice that Steve replaced the stock grill, and relocated some of the ports. Mr. Azola knows a thing or two about speaker cab building (as well as EUB's!), and the results of his work sounds great to my ears (though I had not heard an unmodified Twin Valve Combo to compare).

This Twin Valve Combo has really made me a Trace believer! The combination of tube tone, with articulation, clarity, and tonal balance, is most impressive!

The mysterious V-8 and the perhaps even more beguiling Quatra Valve are both on my "must acquire" list! :D

13. BassAde

BassAde

Mar 11, 2005
    S-o-T U.K.
    A GP12SMX pre-amp going into a PPA 600 power-amp. Noise out of
    [​IMG]
    & this
    [​IMG]

edit: all early-mid '90's

14. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I have a RAH250SMX on the way!
    Picked it up just last week for 325. I am really excited for it. How do you guys feel about the onboard compressor?

15. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    Oddio has a V-8!

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I believe there is a V4 in the Harmony Central classifieds right now....

17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Personally I think its the best compressor ever built into a head.

18. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my experience was strictly with the solid state units like the smx 300 and 400. LOUD LOUD LOUD. the 300 made an swr sm-900 cry for it's momma in terms of plain old make ya sweat and peel the paint volume.

19. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I liked it so much that I bought the pedal.

20. BassAde

BassAde

Mar 11, 2005
    S-o-T U.K.
    Yep, it's a really good compressor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.