Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The ultimate strap!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Sep 20, 2004.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I've tried 'em all. Comfort Strapp, that stinkin' Slider strap, everything still hurt my shoulder after about 45 minutes. My mail man came into the office where I work, and I immediately noticed he had a new strap on his mail bag. I asked him about it and he told me that he got it from a postal supply house. http://wassermanuniform.com/noashok.htm
    It's called the Shokstrap. About 3 3/4 wide, heavily built, padded, and thick elastic straps on either end of the pad. Of course, I had to make some modifications to it since it was made to hold a mail bag. It was SOOO worth the effort!!

I know I'm not the only one here with shoulder and back problems, so I thought I would pass this along. Oh, by the way, if I remember correctly, it cost me only about $30. Best $30 I've ever spent on bass gear!!

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    That looks pretty cool

3. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Way better than cool......and super heavy duty.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    great find!

how exactly did you mod it out to work on your bass?

5. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I cut off the straps just below the steel loops at the end of the elastic and attached part of another guitar strap that included the ends, you know the part that attaches to the strap pins. I also contact-cemented part of a smooth Ernie Ball strap to the underside of the pad because it is very rough in order to keep the mailman's bag from sliding around. Some bass players might like that, but I need it to slide on my shoulder some. I'll take some pics and post them.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thank you very much

:)

7. +1

8. looks alright, my mate uses a plain ernie ball strap but has a granny car seatbelt wool cover thingy on it...but the best strap ive used is the fender ones......Selection E
    [​IMG]

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    That seems like a great idea. My favorite strap that i've played [used the cheapie nylons and a Comfy Strap that was a nylon + some padding] is my current one. It's a Levy's Leather M6. I think it's 3.5 inches wide, has some sheep skin padding on it. I've had it for about 4-5 years now and i bought it from Bass NorthWest. The only thing i've done to it was when i put Schallers on my basses-i put the corresponding side on the strap and tightened them down. It's now more or less molded to my shoulder. Best strap i've played and i can do the 5hr+ gigs/rehearsels and only be a bit sore. If i do those several days in a row-it still hurts, but hey-it's a StingRay :)

That's all

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    [​IMG]Like everyone else, I've been hunting for the perfect strap. This looks good. I'm gonna try it.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Looks pretty cool!

I am moving this to Miscellaneous.

12. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    next time he comes in, ask him where his bag came from? and see if there is a manufacturers name on it? i have been looking for a new bag, and if im gonna order one shok strap, i might as well order two.

13. I recommend Moody's straps - they also sell the OneStrap. Very comfortable, very well made, and well priced.

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  15. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    wassermanuniform.com

16. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    4string4ever: is that the maker of the bag too, or just the strap. i ordered a catalog from them, but i didnt see a bag on thier site (for those of you snickering...yes, i am inquiring about a mailbag)

therealting: do you have a URL for moody's?

jmx: strap looks good, unfortunately its leather, which is not something i buy. girl is ok, but the bass she is playing..now thats hot. have you tried that slapring yet?

also, who is the model in your avatar?

here is a company that has vegan straps. they have 3 inch straps for bass, but i am not sure how comfortable they are:

http://www.coreoneproduct.com/pages/kepurweb/kepurhome.php

other neat things on that site (i like the wirething):
    http://www.coreoneproduct.com/pages/products.html

17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I haven't tried that slapring because I don't think it fits in with my slapping style/sound/concept.

My avatar is Lene Nyström, ex-singer of Aqua. The photo is from a fashion campaign IIRC.

18. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    +1 Though I think it's better if you wait around for one to pop up on the bay when they've overstocked ;)

19. One of my favorites is an old sling most commonly used on M-60 and M-249 machine guns. Still not as comfortable as a 4" wide soft leather strap...

20. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    I use Kepur straps and I like them more than any other strap that I have tried. I have their 2 inch smooth straps and I find them to be quite fine. They never ever fall off too! Although I do reccomend getting the speed clip strap and some clips, it's pretty long, but you'll want the clips. Getting the strap on and off of a button can be a chore sometimes, but that's what they were going for. That and the lifetime warrenty from breakage, always a plus that no other company does.

The biothane material they use is good up to 750 lbs, plus my straploks from dunlop that's close to a ton I think. The wood'll have to break before my strap.