Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The "vintage" effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tedintheshed, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I run a pretty modern sounding rig. It is an Acacia w/ EMG's, Demeter Pre, QSC power and Bag Ends. I love the sound I get- it is distinctly mine.

However, there are times when I am doing covers that I need a more "vintage" sound. You know- that "P-Bass through a flip-top" vibe, all frompy and greasy like. So, I am looking to grab a pedal to help me acheive this, if at all possible.

Suggestions? The only thinkg I can think of is perhaps a SansAmp BBDI.

Danke,

Ted

2. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    You might wanna try just messing with EQ to get a rounder, warmer sound. That will do wonders for most cover songs.

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Maybe mush-it-up a little with some compression.

When I want greasy, I use a Boss CS-3 compressor pedal followed by a Boss ODB-3 overdrive. I keep the drive control on the ODB turned all the way down, back off the ODB's treble control, and back-off the blend control to about 9:00 (mostly dry) - nice.

Joe

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    No- I like my sound as is, and don't like messing with the EQ on the Demeter unless it is to compensate for the room. I am looking for a stomp that will reduce the prescence and give my a bit of that vintage sound specifically for a few covers, basically going from my more modern tomes to some JJ. or the like.

I don't know if that's possible with my set up though, but I'd like to get some ideas.

Ted

5. You could always grab an EQ pedal instead of compressing, or in addition to the compressor pedal...

6. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    i think the sansamp would be nice. You'd probably want to have the blend pretty low, because the SANSamp can seriously color your sound, and a lot of people don't like that, but other than that it can definitly add a vintage tubey sound to your rig.

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hmm...an idea.

Anyone every try the J-Retro Stomp or anything similar?

8. SIB Fatdrive
    Fulltone BassDrive

You might want to do a search on these, particularly in the Amps forum. In the past both have been recommended to add tube-y vintage flavor to not-so-vintage rigs. I haven't found either unit to demo yet.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Ibanez LF-7 can do a nice job at that, although it isn't its primary function.
    [​IMG]

I'd advice against the ODB-3 because it sounds very synthy in the first place.

10. If you can find a Tube Works Blue Tube pedal, and swap out the 12ax7 for a nice 12au7, I'm sure you would be satisified. Mine does a beautiful job of warming up a very clean sounding SWR amp.

11. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    When I had an all SWR rig I did the exact same thing.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Blue Tube is discontinued so it becomes hard to find.

13. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I've found that a NOS 5751 warms up my SWR amp,
    and takes makes the highs smoother, less sharp.

14. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    throw a blanket over your speaker cabs :D

15. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Or you just get a P-bass?

16. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well, I've owned P-basses and really am not a fan, at least compared to my Acacia.

Anyways- thanks for the suggestion- I'll look into these.

Ted