Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Washburn Taurus -- a hidden treasure?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I played this bass last November but I was playing through an ampeg rig and didn't know the controls...hence, the bass was muddy as all hell and sounded awful. Didn't give it a second glance.

Fast forward today, a guy in my program at school and I were jamming during a break. I ask to play his bass, so we switch, him taking my fretless. Ho-lee-mo-fo'ing-crap. It was a slap machine! I was getting the best, punchiest, oh-my-god-where-did-my-bowels-just-go slap tone I've ever heard in my life, easily beating ANY Les tone, the RHCP - Aeroplane tone, a Ray fiver, Vic's Foderas, Pedulla, Zon, etc. etc. out of an instrument that cost $645 CAD (about $511.50USD for a $0.75CAD->$1.00USD exchange rate).

MIND-BLOWING. It's neck-thru, very great looking woods, exceedingly well constructed (solid hardware, very well dressed frets, no blimey looking laminates), un-imaginable upperfret access, beautiful finish, and a chunky-but-not-impeding neck -- it just fills up your hand. Has anyone else played this hidden gem of the bass world?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Also, a note -- this is in fact, the exact same bass as the one I played in the store, no less.

3. I've been toying with the idea of buying a Taurus, but then I end up thinking, "Yeah, but it isn't active".

The problem is, I hear good and bad things about the Taurus.
    However I do hear that the Force (which is active) is actually pretty good.

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I played a T25 here briefly a while abck and it was quite a nice sounding instrument, very similar to my Ashton 5 in feel and construction. I beleive they're made in the same place.

As for passive vs active, go with the instrument that delivers what you want in terms of sound, and don't worry about which type it is. (and this is from someone who beleives when active is done right, ie almost never, it is soooooo superior to passive). These are quite warm sounding instuments because of the wood choices, so maybe some of the EMG 40/45TW's would be a good choice if you decided to change them.

5. That wouldn't be an Ashton AB1105 would it?

Since I'm in Australia, that's another bass that I'm interested in.

Just a side note - The Washburns and Ashtons are both made in the same factory right (or at least both are made in Vietnam)?

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Mine's an AB1505, but the 1105 in better in some ways, ie no gloss finish on the body.
    For what they cost they're good value. Allans have the AB1105 in stock. When I can find an 1105 and 1100 secondhand, ie cheap, I'll grab them as spares.
    That was what I was told, same factory, but my source is not unimpeachable.

7. Thanks for your help.

I also noticed that Allans stocked them. There's a 20% off everything in store sale at the one near me, so I might be able to pick one up fairly cheaply.

8. the t24's look real enticing..i wouldnt mind trying one..even the xb920...that ashton you have, is that the orange neck through with 2 emg's (from memory)..i saw that ages ago and it looked real nice, pity it was fretless cos it was when i started playing and had no interest in fretless...but there is one washburn im extremly excited about which muso's corner here are trying to get one in stock and..it doesnt need an introduction[​IMG]

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Man you're going to need some WILD new threads and a BIG'OL Pair of sunglasses if you're gonna play that thing!!!!

10. oh ill be playing it :D i wont be able to afford it but ill be playing it, i wanna get one custom made, 5 single coils and alll white like the old school moon jazz's..mmmmmm

11. Hi there, i've been interested in the Taurus T24 for a while now, so much that i think it's the next bass i want to get. I happy with passive basses, as i don't want to have to worry about batteries. I currently have a Mexican Fender Jazz, but i love the body shaping of the Taurus, it's a little bit "Claypool" looking :bassist: I think i like the price too, albeit more in the UK than in the US.

12. In terms of a passive bass (in my price range) the Taurus is right up there.
    I'm also looking at others basses at the moment as well (Cort Curbow etc).

I'm currently also talking to different people if it would be possible (or easy) to upgrade a Taurus to an active setup.

13. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    The Taurus design was stolen from Jerzy Drozd.

According to a certain famous bearded luthier who shall remain nameless, it allegedly caused quite the stir at NAMM...check it out...

http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I've played a taurus and was impressed... I want a Jerzy though :-\.. Where can I find one >_<... waaah!

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    http://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com

16. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Jerzy's probably never going to sell a lower quality, factory-built instrument for $400. Also, his body shape probably hasn't been trademarked.

I wouldn't call it theft so much as occupying a need in the market that would otherwise have gone unmet.

Message to low-volume custom luthiers: trademark or patent your designs if you think someone with deep pockets is likely to copy them.

17. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
  18. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I doubt many of the little guys have the $$ to do this.

19. I would love to get a Jerzy as well, but can't afford one.
    It's one of the reasons that I'm interested in a Taurus (I realised it looked almost exactly the same as a Jerzy the first time I saw it)

20. I played one yesterday afternoon. I am a dyed-in-the-wool bolt-on guy and I won't be buying one of these neck through models but I was impressed with the bass, very impressed considering the price (~$400). It was very good looking (in a "hippie sandwich" kind of way), very nice oil finish, beefy neck with very good fretwork...no jagged ends, nicely crowned and lightly polished. It has 2 passive J-style pickups and delivers a good Jazz Bass-like sound...nothing to write home about, but okay. The hardware is also decent for this price point. The only really negative feature is the weight...it is really, REALLY heavy!