The Who so need to give it up.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Lame, lame, lame. What's next? A Beatles tour?
    :rollno: :rollno: :rollno:
  2. i dunno, i liked how led zepplin did it. as soon as they were down a member, they called it quits. the who has only 50% of their original members. it makes me wonder who Roger Daltrey feels is important to the band, and who makes The Who "The Who".
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    As far as I'm concerned there are only two people who have the right to call their band the who. Peter Townshend says something like this in the "Tommy Live 1989" video (not a direct quote)
    He called that tour "The Who On Ice" like it was the Ica Capades. Roger's really excited about Peter's new songs, he absolutely LOVES working with Peter, and what would you call a group with Roger singing Pete Townshend songs anyway?

They can call it what they want, I'm sure the music will stand for itself.
  4. Who were we talking about again?
  5. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    "raising over £400,000 for teens with cancer."

I'm pretty much okay with that. Aren't you?

6. i'm not quite sure thats what we were talking about...if that is what we are talking about, i'd say, i'm with you LM!

but i thought we were discussing the fact that the who is losing more and more original members but still carrying on as The Who.
    it seems like if i were to play black dog along with Robert Plant, does that make us Led Zepplin?

EDIT: although philbiker has a good point. the two main songwriters are there, so it could still pass as The Who, although at the bare minimum imo
  7. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Who is the Who? Who nose? (pun)

John Kay and a bunch of guys call themselves Steppenwolf. Mike Love and a bunch of guys call themselves The Beach Boys. The Platters, Coasters, Drifters, et al are still touring in one or more variations, some of which don't include any original members. It seems to be a function of who has licensed which name and filed injunctions against others to prevent them from using it (as in the case of Steppenwolf). Then again, would we have prevented the Rolling Stones from using that name after Mick Taylor and Brian Jones had left? How about's just Jagger and Richards left from the original Stones, isn't it? And only 3 of the original 5 Beatles made the initial appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show!

Thought food for y'all...
  8. I saw the Who soon after John Entwhistle's passing. They had Pino Palladino on bass and Zack Starkey (Ringo's kid) on the drum kit. Zack played Kieth Moon better than Kieth Moon. He was very good. This was Pino's second show after signing on to replace John. He had some huge motherf******* shoes to fill and he fit right in. They opened with "Substitute" which I thought was appropriate. Pino nailed every groove and nuance throughout the set, playing John's lines only when necessary to the tune, the rest of the time he played in his own voice. His ostinato parts in "My Generation" were just superb. All that being said, I just can't picture Greg Lake in the bass chair in the Who. His old ELP root/fifth/octave runs just won't fly. I don't get it. They should bring back Pino.
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you can go to hear the roots, you realize where the tree came from.

One day, in the future, you will cherish to have seen at least a couple members of the original The Who.

Without the Beatles and the Who, you and I would probably be talking on this site about some cheap-ass video games or Justin Timberwussy's tour.
  10. I kind of equate it to sports teams. To say a team isn't a team unless it has all it's innaugural members is silly.

On the other foot... A band with no original members is also pretty silly. A name to get people in the door. (I seem to remember talking to a guy who had played in Paul Revere and the Raiders- I think I remember him saying there was no original member of the band when he was playing with them.)
  11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.