1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

There is justice!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tfmbass, Sep 30, 2009.

1. tfmbass

tfmbass

Dec 13, 2006
    Orlando,Fl
    December of 2003, my Carvin BB76 was stolen from my house in Orlando.
    At that time the band house had real strict HOA rules and we had to keep our trailer in the garage, which was terrible because the trailer was 2 inches taller than the garage door. When ever we had to move it in or out of the garage we had to deflate the tires. Not Fun.:eyebrow:
    So this idiot walks in the garage..as we are loading it...and grabs my bass and a guitar. He waited for us to go back inside for more gear. BY the way this was at 3 in the afternoon. Thats guts.
    He then ran next door and stole some more stuff.

Long story short. He pawned the guitar and was caught. However, my bass was gone. He sold it for drugs. The bass was not insured. Total loss.:crying:

A month ago the boss (wife) calls and tells me I have a check for $57.12 from the Florida Department of Corrections.
    This guy is paying me back the value of the instrument in installments.

I miss that bass, but there is some justice in the world.

2. well..thats cool you're slowly but surely getting your money back for it. Sucks about the bass though. They're like pets,you can always get another one,but it'll never be the same.

3. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Wow! Go Florida DOC! That would never happen out in cali. I'm glad to hear that you'll be getting at least some of the bass' value back.

4. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    You got Pics of the Bass?

You got Pics of the Criminal?

5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

WOW!!!!
    I gotta get out of NY. Here, if you get robbed, not only will no one pay you back (if uninsured), you'll get slammed by the po-po telling you it's all your fault you got robbed...treating you like you're the criminal.

6. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    I like that.

OP - It was the guy next door. He was brave but not too smart.

7. gavnel

gavnel

Sep 22, 2009
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Sorry to hear about your bass but at least justice was served

8. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Very cool! I had no idea they did that.

9. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Jul 23, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Warwick bass forum moderator.
    There's no victims compensation fund in the USA?
    Man,for such a wealthy country that could easily offord these things,like public health insurance,the government are huge tight arses.
    It's cool to hear that this thief is working behind bars,& the money is going to one of his victims.
    Thieves are scumbag dickheads.

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Every installment he misses should be one finger taken off.

But thats just IMO.

Cool story though!

11. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Wow very cool I never new corrections did something like that.

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'd prefer it if they sent me body parts every month until I was satisfied.

I'm glad to hear they're making him attempt to pay you back though.

13. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Maybe it was the perps idea? Some sort of pennance or something.

14. tfmbass

tfmbass

Dec 13, 2006
    Orlando,Fl
    I just got my second check!

He must be cranking out the license plates!

15. That's great! I had a car stereo stolen years ago and I applied for restitution. I got a check each month until every dime was paid back. It took a while but at least I got it back.

16. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT

But in the long run, couldnt that be considered early release??

PLus you'd end up with a Franken-thief back on the streets!

Nevermind-carry on!

17. tfmbass

tfmbass

Dec 13, 2006
    Orlando,Fl
    Classic!:hyper:

18. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I don't expect other law-abiding, tax-paying citizens to pay for stolen goods. The guy that stole it owes me the money. Good job Florida!

19. MadJap

MadJap

Aug 26, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL

That's exactly what I was gonna say! Good stuff!

MIJ

20. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Actually, it does happen in "Cali." Several years ago, I prosecuted a criminal case against a guitar tech who got into some trouble with meth and wound up pawning 12 guitars that were entrusted to him for various repairs. He was convicted of grand theft and ordered to pay a little over $9,000 in restitution. We collected every penny.

P.S. California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation ("CDCR") maintains inmate trust (bank) accounts for all inmates currently commited to prison in California. If they work in prison and earn a wage, all checks are deposited through the trust account. Similarly, if the inmate's mom sends them $50 for Christmas to buy magazines or deodorant, that also gets processed through the trust account. If there is an outstanding restitution order, CDCR is authorized by statute to deduct 50 cents on every dollar deposited in the account and forward that money to the victim(s) until restitution is paid in full. Last year alone, CDCR recovered and mailed over $32 million in victim restitution.

To the original poster, glad to hear it is working in Florida as well. Hope you get every penny.