1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

There is Life After GAS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    About two weeks ago, I was seriously GASing over an ATK805. I simply sat tight because I realized household responsibilities would not let me part with an extra $750 or $800 so for a bass. I was even tempted to swap my Spector because the dealer would have taken it even up, but I decided not to because that bass was a gift.

Guess what? The GAS cooled off.:smug::smug: Since the October 31, 2011, I have bought one bass, a killer Squier VM Jazz V for $150. My secret in fighting GAS is the reality that I am not quite as flush as I was a few years ago, and I have faced the fact that I sound like a hack who knows a few Marcus Miller licks no matter what I buy!:bag:

2. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

Oct 12, 2012
    Oregon
    I just caved and bought a Squier VM P bass... Bass GAS is over, now Amp GAS begins...

3. dbamta

dbamta

Aug 25, 2009
    Maryland
    I believe that I have reached that point. It is not the shoes

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Gas is never cured if you suddenly came into a huge windfall we both know you would go out and get some gear :)

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's not really GAS if you are in a position to just have fun.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Seriously, I would like a new amp myself even more than another bass, but i suspect that I will sit tight on that urge too!

7. spvmhc

spvmhc

Apr 14, 2011
    And for a lesson from psychology, do in internet search of "hedonic adaptation" or "hedonic treadmill". People adapt to an extraordinary range of circumstances-and in quick fashion. One implication is that getting another bass (amp, pedal, etc.) isn't likely to make a major change in your level of satisfaction even in a relatively short timeframe. It helps to remember this when your start to get those "gotta get another bass" urges.

8. ..and you would sound more and more like Marcus with the more basses you buy!!

(hanging out at TB isn't easy, for sure....)

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The hedonic treadmill is definitely something I have felt intuitively for a long time. I think it may work in reverse because I downgraded the amount of money I spend on gear about ten years ago, and buying new budget gear gave me boost the way buying new boutique gear used to give me a rush.

10. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    why would you want to be cured?

11. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    +1!! I am pretty content with my rig as of right now. But I know I still want more. A nice tube amp head as a matter a fact. Another bass would be sweet too. But I can't win em all. My GAS attacks have been massive as of late and left me cryin broke. But again, I'm content where I am. But I know that if I had an extra grand layin around, it'd be spent on one of the two things I just mentioned. I'll never be cured from GAS, nor do I want to be, but the affliction isn't always so deep and can be avoided most times. I look at it this way, I could buy all the gear I want and lose my home and woman, or I can be happy with I have until I can "afford" what I'm achin for.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't really want to be cured, but it is great to not feel like GAS rules me.

13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Join the club man. Not going on TB constantly would help me :bag:

14. Oh, no. If it's not painful, then it's not GAS.

15. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I believe we are at the same point. I did get a P5 this year for the new band but spent less than $800. 10 years ago I would have spent $2k plus without blinking. I still have a few small $ items to get but nothing major will be bought unless I sell something first. And I am downsizing from 3 to 2 rigs.

Really I still need to work at being a better player and at my age it isn't as easy as it used to be. And neither is learning the the country songs, some are truly humbling ...

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

A Fodera cured my GAS.

Expensive GAS cure I know, but as a guy that has bought and sold over 75 basses in the last 6 years alone, I am happily going from 17 to 4-5 basses this year.

17. Bassvirus01

Bassvirus01

Mar 5, 2013
    I like to let the GAS settle a few times before buying something. Particularly if it's for a bass over the £800 mark. But them I'm a tight a$$ :rollno:

But the best feeling is, finding a bass that I really "want" then forgetting about it for a few weeks, then going back and realizing I still really want that bass. Or even better mid gig going "If I had that bass now it would kick this riff's ass!"

Stops me buying on a whim.

Edit: This is posted one day before I plan on picking up a Euro 4LX Classic... currently folding hehe.

18. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

+1

19. pineapplerobot

pineapplerobot

Jul 23, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    My problem is that I just don't know what I want and can't make up my mind. Keeps me from GAS just out of confusion and frustration haha

20. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Haha, I'm the complete opposite. I don't know exactly what I want so I go through 5 different things before I settle on one. And even then I'm not always sure.