Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by syciprider, Oct 16, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Great stuff... good for back pain...

shouldn't this be in OT??

OH WAIT... you mean the sound thingy... no... a friend of mine uses one... It's really a whole other insturment, as opposed to an effect.
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Oh crap, that's right. I'm OT now.

Anyhoo, I just heard some theremin music. It sounds cool with delay and chorus.
  4. yes, built my own from a kit about 6 years ago, was great fun... for about two hours! Admittedly I didn't hook up any of my pedals, so maybe I can squeeze a bit more entertainment out of it yet.

Planning to build a midi theremin from another kit, that should hold my intererest for... ooooo... a day maybe!
  5. zipflint

Sep 25, 2005
    Spartanburg, SC
    A friend of mine has one. He bought the cheapest sort he could find, short of buying a kit. He doesn't much care for it but I rather enjoy fooling with it. It's "natural" tone is a bit bland, but with some effects (as previously said, chorus and delay especially) it's quite fun. I've been thinking of trying to record a song for theramin, e-bow'd bass, and drums.
    Except I don't know any drummers.
    One of these days.....
  6. i had one for a little bit...they are nice little boxes, but the novelty wore out after about a month...but in the hands of someone who knows how to use one, they can sound great!
  7. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    An upgraded version of the Theremin was Bob Moog's last project. You know the story behind this? Leon Theremin was a hotshot physicist who develped the theremin during his proximity sensor work for the Soviet military. He showed it to Lenin, who was so impressed that he sent Leon on a world tour in 1919. Leon took the opportunity to defect during his visit to the US, pantented his theremin and sold it to RCA. Needless to say, the Soviets weren't amused and one day in 1938, Soviet agents visited him in New York, and kidnapped him back to Russia. He worked for much of the next few decades in a scientific gulag, but apparently only died about 10 years ago.
  8. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I use a theremin with my group Naked Jungle, its a basic model just one antanna. I run it through a Boss pitch shifter/delay pedal and it sounds crazy, especially with the expression pedal on the Boss.

There a bit of it on our page in the song "Palindrum".
  9. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I saw Victor Wooten last night. Vic's brother plays keys and uses one as well. Too funky! :cool:
  10. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Hiwatt makes a pseudo theremin like effect. fun to play with.
  11. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I had a Moog for a while. It's easy to make science fiction, Forbidden Planet kinds of noises, but really difficult to get past that and into real music. Or, at least, that was my experience.
  12. zipflint

Sep 25, 2005
    Spartanburg, SC
    An octave pedal helps with taking the edge off the pitch too. I've just got a Korg multi-fx pedal and even tho its octave effect isn't the greatest (okay, it's barely passable, heh) it made the tone a little more usable.
  13. i want one...,mmmmmmmm...jimmy page
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Rough estimate: How much time/money does it take to build one... not much I'd imagine....
  15. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah, I have a Moog Theremin I built from a kit, but I don't have the nice one, just the base level. I use it through my bass cab, and it sounds great!