1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

They changed my sound. Is it good?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by scottfeldstein, Jan 12, 2012.

1. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I put down some scratch tracks a couple of weeks ago in my band's rehearsal space and was surprised at how great it sounded. When I got sent a mixdown, however, I was surprised yet again at what had been done to the sound I had.

I'm afraid I can't give you a "before," but I can describe it in relation to the "after."

Here's the after.

Notice the soft, fuzzy clipping kind of sound? That wasn't there. All that I heard before was new ProSteel strings and a hint of grit/modeling from my very modestly dialed-in SansAmp BDDI. The before was big, growly and aggressive--but not the slightest bit fuzzy as it is now.

The knob-twister dude mumbled something about having added some "SVT." I think he was inspired by the sight of my SansAmp and figured I would like it or something.

Anyway. I'm trying to decide if I like it or hate it or if I want to suggest something different to him or what. This guy's going to be engineering my bass sound on two upcoming albums.

What do you folks think? Like the sound?

2. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    It won't load for me.

3. The Impostor

The Impostor

Jul 8, 2011
    Finland
    Worked for me, atleast. Sounds great!

4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    What really matters is how you feel about it. If it was me (and I was paying for it) I wouldn't suggest, I'd tell him to put it back the way it was.

One of my pet peeves is these knob twisting nit-wits (who I am paying) that think they can just change my sound because they don't like. I appreciate suggestions, because I'm paying for their expertise, but don't just do it behind my back.

If I'm paying the bills, I'm making the decisions.

5. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    What browser are you using?

6. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Won't load for me either.

7. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I agree with what you said. Too 'gritty' for my taste. And I think the signal is clipping. +1 to telling the engineer to fix it. You're paying him -- make it sound like you want.

8. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    You're quite right. Upon reflection, I think that I do like it--for this particular track. I love the sound I get right now straight out of my DI, but I think his creative instinct--to muddy this one up a bit--is one that I can get behind.

Also, this isn't someone I've hired. This is my guitar player, synth/drum programmer. Clever guy, actually, and a terrific musician. But we've just started working together a few weeks ago, so I'm getting used to the way he does things and vice versa.

9. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    I think the sound is excellent. But then again I don't have the BEFORE tone to compare against. At least he didn't compress the heck out of it.

10. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Sorry for the m4a file, guys. I think that's what's throwing some of you. I'll try to replace it with an mp3 or something. But it'll have to be in an hour or two.

11. nebmbass

nebmbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Portland ME
    It's too bad you couldn't produce some pre-mixed sounds because that sounds pretty solid to me. I do hear the 'clipping' sound, but it sounds intentional.

12. Sounds just right for the song. Very scooped tone. Works well I think.

13. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    It's good. If it were me, I'd let it ride. And if the producer is also a player in the band, getting him to change it may be a political quagmire anyway.

14. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I totally agree with this, Scott. Although I like the tone in the recording a lot, you must decide if that tone represents your style and your whole idea of how a bass guitar should sound. Assuming, of course, that the result is a whole lot different than what you expected. I mean, minor tweaks and suggestions are welcome in means of respect to the experience and wisdom of the engineer, but a totally different approach should definitely be discussed if you are not convinced about it.

15. I think it sounds great -

Once the guitar kicks in there is no way it will matter anyway (IMO).

16. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I disagree. Digging your feet into the ground and halting the progress on the rest of the project in order to insist upon your own tone goal is one way to go, but in my experience the downside outweighs the upside.

That bass track sounds sick, even if it's not precisely what Scott may have envisioned. Maybe the other guy is right, and it will work well in the final product.

Scott, I'm basing all this opinion on your implication that you don't HATE what you are hearing there; it's just not quite the same as you heard before.

17. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    If you like the change, I think I'd try to use this as an opportunity to get some communications going so you don't feel out of the loop in the future.

18. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    If you can't hear it by clicking the link, right-click and choose "Save Link As...", or whatever they call it in your browser.

I like the sound. Would love to hear the "before", so I could compare.

In any case, if you're decided to have your original sound back, explain your vision to him and ask nicely. He's going to be engineering your bass sound on two upcoming albums...

19. DanHB18

DanHB18

May 4, 2010
    Tennessee
    If it helps the song, do it. But, you will always play better if you like your tone. He could have added just a bit of grit to help it cut through the mix better. It's a technique called parallel processing.

20. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Quite right. I think it's a pretty cool sound. I was just surprised by it. I wouldn't want that sound full-time, but it's pretty cool.

I think that's the point I need to make sure is clear: cool for that track, not cool all the time.