1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thicker gauge flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Precision345, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    I'm looking for thicker gauge flatwounds? Any help? Maybe a step up from standard gauge?:)

2. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Depends on your taste for tension and price.

Labella Jamersons, FM or FS. Pretty high to very high tension. Expensive.
    Sadowsky-and DR-medium tension. Expensive.
    Pyramid Gold, slightly less tension. Very expensive.

3. The Rotosound Steve Harris flatwounds are .110

4. labella jamersons are one of the thickest strings out there. what do you consider standard gauge? 45-105? flatwounds are not as predictable tension wise as are round wound eg. fender light gauge has less tension than labella's even lighter gauge.

5. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    Thanks for the input guys.

I want a set of flat wound strings that are a step up in gauge from .45 - .105 set. I am currently using d'addario flatwounds and they're .45 to .105. I need something with a little more tension then these, so maybe medium tension?? I play a kramer 450b and I need the tension to keep the neck straight and not buzzy

6. Uh..isn't that what the truss rod nut adjustment is for?
    Why struggle with thicker strings when a neck adjustment will suffice?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bump up tot he set that starts with .050 then. Or readjust your truss rod. Simple answer ;)

8. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    I really love the La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass 760FS set. They were on my Classic 50's P when I picked it up used from a fellow TB'er and I absolutely love them. I have Chromes on another P, and am preferring the La Bellas more and more. They have more thump, higher tension (which I am finding I like) and sounds great to my ear. You'll get many different opinions from people. It's all personal preference.

9. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    It hasn't got a truss rod

10. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    It's a Kramer 450b aluminum neck

11. DuShauh

DuShauh

Aug 29, 2011
    West Michigan
    I know that you mentioned flats. However, IME D'Addario Half Rounds ENR73 are the highest tension string I have encountered. Higher than any heavier gauge flats even. .055/.075/.090/.110

12. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    Thank you for your response and advice but I would like to continue using flat wounds as I also use them because they don't wear the frets down as much

13. Former Kramer DMZ5000 owner here: I could be wrong, but I would think with the aluminum neck, this wouldnt be an issue?

14. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    You would think that would be the case but no

15. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Yikes. Sounds like a thicker gauge could help alleviate some buzz, obviously, but perhaps a you need a fret job?

16. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    I actually had some fret leveling done already and the guy who did it suggested thicker gauge strings with higher tension

17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

True

18. You said you are using D'Addario (I assume chromes). Why not (as JimmyM suggests) try the 50-105 set? I see others have recommended an even fatter E string, but IME flats have more mass and tension than rounds anyway, so a jump up one size will probably do ya...

19. DuShauh

DuShauh

Aug 29, 2011
    West Michigan
    ....The half rounds won't harm your frets to any greater degree than the flats that you currently use. If you want more tension, these will bring it. And then some.:D

20. Rotosound 77's have a set that is a step up from 45-105s, they are 50-75-95-110. The 45s are very stiff string, sure the 50s are much more so. May want to check into them...