1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Think I might have gotten converted today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bound'n'blocked, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Went to a local music store today to check and see if a bass I had in there had sold. It did so that was cool. While there I pulled a Fender P bass off the wall and tried it out. It was a really nice playing and looking bass bass(black with a tort guard). I'm not really a fan of P basses because the neck always felt too clunky and big to me (I'm a tried and true Jazz bass guy). Also, this bass had tapewound (I think that's what the girl said) strings that seemed really nice too. If the wife wouldn't have killed me I would have left with that bass.

My pre-concieved notions about P basses might be going by the wayside.

:bassist:

BnB

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Was it an '08 or '09 (as opposed to the earlier years)? The reason I ask is because the "new" Am. Std. P's from '08 > aren't quite as wide at the nut as some of the older P's. I have a '75 P and a MIM Classic '50s P. I'm positive that the width at the nut on the Classic '50s is 1.75", and I'm pretty sure that's what it is on my '75 as well.

But the '08 is 1.625" at the nut. Gets it a little bit closer to a Jazz neck. I think they're quite comfortable.

3. Hmm I think I amy be going to the opposite direction
    I will always be a tried and true Jazz Bass guy but lately I have been really digging the P bass nut width on my SUB and Washburn Status

I still like the 1.5" nut
    but the wider profile nut doesnt irk me as much anymore
    Thats cool about the P. I have owned a few in the past and they definitely have character.

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    You're not converted 'til you jump in the water! Just kidding. Get the P.

5. lanceropolis

lanceropolis

Mar 10, 2009
    So. Cal
    My friend that pretty much sounds exactly like me. When I played my current 75 P, I knew that it was home. More than anything else ever had been. I am starting to think it isn't so much converted, as it is the chipping away of all the B.S. notions we talk ourselves into concerning what a bass needs. lol :bag: kidding... seriously kidding... sort of. ;P

6. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I thought by '75 Fender had gone to 1.625" at the nut on Precisions. But the '70s necks are known for being pretty chunky front-to-back.

7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Well, in all the world there are only two kinds of basses suitable for a bassist to own/play. A J and a P.

Rule: You can never own too many basses.

So why not own BOTH kinds of basses and never have to look at a new bass (unless it's a P or J of course) ever again!

:bassist:

8. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    I was the same way. but one of my bands is recording right now, and when I was setting up at the studio, I was checking out all the studio basses. There was this old p on the rack, and thought I'd give it a try. Absolutely floored by the sound. Maybe it was because of the roundwounds on there, but man such a nice fat mellow sound. I've recorded about half our stuff on that bass. I love my J, but now I'm wicked gassing for a p. And it didn't feel at all clunky in my hands. Maybe it was a J neck or something.

9. I used to feel the same way about necks; I've played nothing but my Ibanez for years, and always swore by them. But now some of the bigger necks seem to be feeling more and more comfy. I'm only 24, and it's not like my hands are getting any bigger, so what's the deal? Is is something to do with us all getting fatter or are all of our hands just getting swollen up or something? :eyebrow:

10. I'm wondering if maybe my hands are just fianlly adjusting to playing a bass. All the times in the past when I had played a P or a P-style I was a guitar player. Maybe this neck is just a normal P neck but it's my hands that have changed, as mentioned above.

Whatever it is, the neck on that bass was very nice. Wish I had the extra $$. I dont know how old it was, seemed to be older than 08/09 because of the way the body looked. Sound was incredible too. I had played a 5 string Jazz just before this one and played the P thru the same amp with the same settings and it was pretty potent sounding. Alot more powerful than the Jazz.

BnB

11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Greg, you're right. I measured them both today and the '75 is thinner at the nut than the Classic '50s. I haven't been using the '75 much lately. She's been sitting in the case "resting". I guess I just remembered it as being wider than it is. But it is chunkier (front to back) then my '08 Am. Std.

12. KrisH

KrisH

Nov 6, 2007
    New Jersey
    Same with me. My pre-conceived notions about P-necks came from a few I tried in the early 70s. So I was surprised to find a standard that has a neck almost as slim as my J. So I broke my 35+ years "boycott." And what else can you say about the sound???:hyper:

13. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    So I can sell my Deans, get a Fender P and J and be set for life?

14. KrisH-
    It just sounded "powerful" to me. I really dont know how to describe it really as I havent played too many P style basses. The one I mentioned that I had sold that day was a Cort P/J but I usually used the J pick up on it full and the P just in just a tiny bit. It had tapewound strings on it, and I'm not familiar at all with them so maybe that had something to do with it. I just remember playing the Jazz 5 thru the little Fender kickback amp in the store, and then picking up the P and playing it with the same settings and the sound was a ton louder and just more pleasing to me. Not as good as my Jazz is, but like I said, I'll not just automatically dismiss a P anymore. I'll pick one up and try it out now.

Demonator--
    Where in KY you located? I'm near Ashland.

BnB

15. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I love both Jazzes and P's. Jazz necks are more comfortable to me, but the 1.625" P's are mighty comfortable in their own right. The thing I really like with the P's is when you're playing live with a band. They just seem to sit better in the mix, at least in my humble opinion. When I'm playing at home, I generally think the Jazzes sound better. But the guys in the band tend to prefer the P's when playing live. I guess my point is not to be too sure that the P won't sound as good as the Jazz until you play it in a band setting.

16. Good point. I've played a P/J a few times in a band setting. I've got an Austin Music Man knock off with a humbucker that sound wise kicks serious booty, but I just cant stand the neck enough to play it.

BnB

17. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Same Here.

I have a very nice 08' Am Std Jazz, which I am hanging on to. Got a Squier CV 60's P, Can not put it down. Feels good and sounds better. Now I GAS for the Newer MIM P's in Lake Placid Blue....My wife thinks I should get the Maple Neck, but I am going to try and hold off for the rosewood. They are on back order til 04/13...Hey my Birthday! Is it a sign? :smug:

18. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    You all should try Wishbasses.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020